Club legend Hammond returns to Royston
- Credit: Archant
ROYSTON Town have pulled off a transfer coup after prolific striker Craig Hammond re-signed for the club on a two-year contract from Cambridge City.
Hammond is returning to the club where he first established himself as a prolific goal scorer setting a club record of 81 goals in the 2008/9 season. That success led to a move to Histon in August 2009 and a further move onto City in 2010.
During his three years at City, Hammond has consistently proved his goal scoring ability culminating in him winning the Step 3 National Player of the Year Award in 2011.
His return is a major boast to the club who are currently sitting in the play-off places and looking to secure their promotion to the Southern League Premier Division.
Chairman Steve Jackson said: “Strengthening the squad at this stage of the season is vital and will hopefully give the players the boost they need to finish the season strongly.”
You may also want to watch:
Manager Paul Attfield added “It has been apparent over the last few games that we needed to be a bit more clinical in front of goal and there is no better finisher at this level than Craig. His record speaks for itself and he will be a great asset to the club.”
Hammond is currently serving a two match suspension so is not available for Saturday’s home game against Northwood, so will hopefully make his league debut against Godalming Town in a top of the table clash the following week.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 8 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 9 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 10 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
The 23-year-old’s home debut will be on Easter Monday (April 1) against Biggleswade Town, 3pm kick-off.