Club legend Hammond returns to Royston
- Credit: Archant
ROYSTON Town have pulled off a transfer coup after prolific striker Craig Hammond re-signed for the club on a two-year contract from Cambridge City.
Hammond is returning to the club where he first established himself as a prolific goal scorer setting a club record of 81 goals in the 2008/9 season. That success led to a move to Histon in August 2009 and a further move onto City in 2010.
During his three years at City, Hammond has consistently proved his goal scoring ability culminating in him winning the Step 3 National Player of the Year Award in 2011.
His return is a major boast to the club who are currently sitting in the play-off places and looking to secure their promotion to the Southern League Premier Division.
Chairman Steve Jackson said: “Strengthening the squad at this stage of the season is vital and will hopefully give the players the boost they need to finish the season strongly.”
You may also want to watch:
Manager Paul Attfield added “It has been apparent over the last few games that we needed to be a bit more clinical in front of goal and there is no better finisher at this level than Craig. His record speaks for itself and he will be a great asset to the club.”
Hammond is currently serving a two match suspension so is not available for Saturday’s home game against Northwood, so will hopefully make his league debut against Godalming Town in a top of the table clash the following week.
- 1 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 2 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 7 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 10 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
The 23-year-old’s home debut will be on Easter Monday (April 1) against Biggleswade Town, 3pm kick-off.