Classy Vets hit back to turn on style
Royston Town Vets 5 Standon & Puckeridge Vets 3 FOUR goals in 12 minutes rescued Royston – with their marvellous comeback seeing off spirited Standon & Puckeridge. Royston got off to a bright start when Nick Humphries put them ahead midway through the
Royston Town Vets 5
Standon & Puckeridge Vets 3
FOUR goals in 12 minutes rescued Royston - with their marvellous comeback seeing off spirited Standon & Puckeridge.
Royston got off to a bright start when Nick Humphries put them ahead midway through the first half, with a stunning 25-yard strike that nestled into the top corner.
However, the lively visitors quickly equalised with a powerful header from a cross from the right.
And Standon were in front moments after the break from the spot after Colin Bowers clipped the heels of a forward.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 3 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 4 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 5 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
Then within a minute the visitors were 3-1 up as Royston were caught napping again.
Daryl Quinn was then introduced to the action and quickly forced a corner from which Steve Holden's header was well saved by the Standon keeper.
But their efforts were rewarded moments later when Peter Leete was hauled down by Young, and referee Martin Pope had no hesitation in pointing to the spot with leading goal scorer Paul Lewis calmly slotting home.
Rejuvenated Royston then pulled level minutes later, when Leete forced a corner from which Quinn's flag kick was headed home by the hard-working Carlo Silenti.
Royston then turned on the style as Lewis turned and volleyed home from 10 yards following a well-flighted Nick Humphries cross.
Leete made then made it five shortly after with a fine header from a Silenti free kick, with no way back for a now dejected Standon.
- Royston entertain the Officers Mess from Bassingbourn at 7.30pm on Monday.
Royston Town Vets: Chaffey, Jackson, Stubbs, Flack, Bowers, Silenti, G Humphries, Holden, Leete, Lewis, N Humphries, McArthur, Cannon, Crawley, Allen, Quinn.