Clarks bid for Lombard Trophy grand final place
A tilt at golfing glory awaits amateur Simon Clark and his Royston PGA professional Sean Clark as they bid to reach the Lombard Trophy grand final being staged at Gleneagles – just three weeks before Europe and America meet in the Ryder Cup.
Simon Clark teed up a chance to tread the fairways of the King’s Course at the famous Scottish resort between September 3-4 when he won his club qualifying competition with a score of 42 points.
He and Sean Clark now advance to the regional final at King’s Lynn Golf Club on Monday 14 July, where they will compete against up to 70 other clubs for the chance to secure one of 16 prized spots available for the 36-hole grand final.
Lombard, the UK’s largest asset finance provider which invests in local and regional business, has enjoyed a long association with the event, helping make it the biggest pro-am in Europe.
“We are delighted to be associated with the tournament, and wish all the regional finalists good luck as they try and win a place at Gleneagles,” said managing director of Lombard, Richard Hemsley.
You may also want to watch:
“With the 2014 Ryder Cup taking place just three weeks after the Lombard Trophy, it gives the final an extra dimension with competitors able to soak up the build-up ahead of the European and American showdown.”
The tournament, now in its 30th year, attracts entries from upwards of 700 clubs across Great Britain and Ireland. Lombard originally sponsored the tournament from 1995 to 2006 before returning as headline sponsor in 2013.
- 1 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 4 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 7 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 8 Herts libraries service could be transferred to public service mutual
- 9 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 10 Chocks away! Phillips and Nunn bag Spitfire Salver at Heydon Grange Golf Club
The PGA National Pro-Am Championship has a total prize fund of £80,000, with the winning professional at the grand final taking home a cheque for £12,000.
Simon Clark, 46, is a solicitor from Royston, Hertfordshire. He has been playing golf for 17 years and plays off a handicap of 11.
Sean Clark, 48, has been a professional at Royston for 16 years. He has previously finished in the top 10 of the east region Order of Merit.
Last year’s winners were PGA professional Ian Walley and amateur partner Ian Neal from Kedleston Park Golf Club in Derbyshire.