Clark set to make his mark
FOLLOWING in the footsteps of Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen, Royston youngster Kieren Clark will be competing in the Rockingham rounds of the Formula Renault UK series this weekend. The talented 19-year-old will be racing in front of a packed crowd a
FOLLOWING in the footsteps of Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen, Royston youngster Kieren Clark will be competing in the Rockingham rounds of the Formula Renault UK series this weekend.
The talented 19-year-old will be racing in front of a packed crowd as he lines up for the fiercely competitive competition.
It is the youngster's second weekend of action, having finished in the top 10 of his opening race at Brands Hatch.
Clark said: "The qualifying at Brands Hatch was a bit of a lottery, but a good grid position is a must this weekend.
You may also want to watch:
"There are a few places to overtake at Rockingham, but the cars are so evenly matched it will be tricky."
Clark's initial showing, suggests he could have a very successful season.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 6 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 9 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
Stepping up from last years more junior BARC Formula Renault championship, the Apotex Scorpio team youngster suffered two difficult qualifying sessions through changing weather conditions.
In the first race, starting from a disappointing 16th place, a determined Clark soon made up four places. However, by lap three he lost ground to the charging Sims, and allowed Rossi to close the gap close behind.
On lap 11, Clark superbly challenged Stoneman and passed him on the exit to set off chasing Buzaid for the next few laps, challenging on the way into Surtees but could not pull alongside to make the place.
Lapping at only two tenths off the second-fastest lap time, Clark held off some late challenges for a well-deserved 10th place finish to secure his first points in the UK championship.
The second race followed later in the afternoon. However Clark suffered with too much wheel spin at the start to lose out from 14th grid position to drop down to 16th which is where he finished.
Clark said: "Now I've got to concentrate on improving my qualifying position, because the grid is just so close."
n Qualifying for the second round of the Formula Renault UK series takes place on Saturday, with racing taking place on Sunday.
For more information contact email@example.com