Chris Boote Memorial Trophy
THE Chris Boote Memorial Tournament marks its 25th anniversary on Monday. The popular tournament, which was set up in 1983 to celebrate the life of popular footballer Chris Boote, continues to go from strength-to-strength, and since its foundation has ra
THE Chris Boote Memorial Tournament marks its 25th anniversary on Monday.
The popular tournament, which was set up in 1983 to celebrate the life of popular footballer Chris Boote, continues to go from strength-to-strength, and since its foundation has raised more than £40,000 for the Cambridge Cancer Research Fund.
Diana Boote has been instrumental in the tournament's success, and since her son Chris died of cancer at 24, has described the event as a "fitting way to remember him, while raising funds for a very worthy cause".
Diana said: "This year is a special one as it is 25 years since the tournament started raising money for Cancer Research.
"Last year £7,000 was raised and we thank the players, sponsors, organisers, referees, ground staff, and the many friends who have given their time, expertise, and help.
"It promises to be another good tournament."
- 1 Owner elated as cat returns after going missing for 11 years
- 2 Melbourn Bowls Club celebrates centenary
- 3 Street Food Heroes return to Royston
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Life-saving defibrillator donated to Melbourn Bowls Club
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 A-level results 2022: What should my next steps be?
- 8 Which Thameslink trains are running during the RMT strike?
- 9 World Photography Day: Herts & Middlesex Wildlife Trust launches third Wild Snaps competition
- 10 Learn how to grow your own fruit at Royston garden centre
The Chris Boote Tournament kicks off on Monday, May 12, at Fowlmere Sports and Social Ground at 6.30pm with Cambridge Ambassadors taking on Barrington.
Melbourn then face Meldreth on Tuesday, with Fowlmere Metals meeting Fowlmere on Wednesday.
Foxton and Cambourne complete the quarter-final matches on Thursday.
A special veterans' match has also been organised with the Chris Boote All Stars taking on a Tottenham Vets team on Sunday, May 18.
All games will be played at Fowlmere Sports and Social Ground.