Chishill suffer penalty shoot-out heartache
Great Chishill 1 Whittlesford 1 (aet) Whittlesford won 4-2 on penalties
GREAT Chishill suffered penalty shoot-out heartache as they lost the Foster Cup final on Bank Holiday Monday.
Played in front of a large crowd at Fowlmere, the match was a closely fought contest with chances at both ends at a premium.
Despite plenty of goalmouth action, neither ‘keeper was worked for the first 30 minutes, but when Andy Reynolds was pushed in the area, Elliot Drury stepped up to give Chishill the lead from the spot.
There was frustration for Chishill as they conceded an equaliser just five minutes after half time when Whittlesford’s striker headed home after a long throw.
You may also want to watch:
It was a physical battle in the middle of midfield, while Colin Saward covered most of the pitch with his energetic runs, while Dan Hicks and James Bennett kept things tight at the back.
Gary Radford came close to finding a winner late in the game but his angled shot flashed wide of the far post, while at the other end Oli Gardiner did well to block an overhead volley on the line.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 8 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 9 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 10 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
Tired legs prevented both sides from creating anything meaningful in extra time, and penalties were the only solution.
Despite Elliot Drury and Jonathan Drury both converting for Chishill, two saves from the Whittlesford keeper ensured his side got their hands on the cup.
Chishill: Knight; R Drury, Bennett, Hicks, Bramwell; Jackson, E Drury, Saward, J Drury, Reynolds, Radford. Subs: Fitzgerald, Hodge, Gardiner.