Chishill squeeze through in cup
Great Chishill 1 Sawston United Res 0 PUTTING their woeful league form to one side, Great Chishill looked for some glory in the cup. And they got just that, with a hard fought victory over Sawston, a team two divisions below. But it was not as easy as
Great Chishill 1 Sawston United Res 0
PUTTING their woeful league form to one side, Great Chishill looked for some glory in the cup.
And they got just that, with a hard fought victory over Sawston, a team two divisions below.
But it was not as easy as the fixture would suggest, with the visitors holding their own for the majority of the game.
You may also want to watch:
And with decent chances falling at both ends, it was a surprise that only one goal settled the tie.
Derry Warren, working industriously on the right of midfield for the hosts had the best of the first half opportunities, while 16-year-old Jamie Chamberlain was impressive in the Chishill goal on his first team debut.
- 1 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 5 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 9 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 10 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
Warren finally made the breakthrough minutes into the second half, when he ran on to Elliot Drury's knock down and finished with a neat lob over the keeper from 20 yards.
With a goal under their belt, Chishill played with more confidence and enjoyed a good spell in which they really should have made the game safe.
Their failure to do so meant there was a nervy final 10 minutes, but the hosts' defence, which was well marshalled by Colin Saward, ensured that Chishill progressed to the next round.
Great Chishill: Chamberlain; Dunsden, Saward, Lombari, Wiltshire; Warren, E Drury, Bennett, Hulks; Butler, J Drury. (Subs): Gibson, Bramwell.