Chishill see off rivals Bassingbourn
Bassingbourn 1-4 Great Chishill
A MUCH improved defensive display from Great Chishill helped them come out on top in a well contested local derby against Bassingbourn.
Although the visitors enjoyed more possession in the early stages it was Bassingbourn who broke the deadlock, with their striker driving in a low shot after Chishill’s defence had failed to clear.
But they responded within minutes when Louis Boulter found space in the box and hit a first time effort across the ‘keeper and in off the post. Oli Gardiner then played in Gary Radford down the left wing and his low cross was turned in by a Bassingbourn defender to give Chishill the lead.
And Chishill gave themselves a comfortable lead going into half time when Liam Henderson hit a spectacular 30-yard drive into the corner.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, determined to get back in the game, the hosts had Chishill penned in their own half for long periods. They came close to pulling a goal back when they headed against a post from a corner, and Charlie Fiddler was alert in the Chishill goal to parry a deflected free-kick before Colin Saward scrambled away the loose ball under the nose of Bassingbourn’s striker.
But any threat of a comeback was killed off when a flowing passing move led to substitute Gareth Edey playing in Lee Smith, who rounded the ‘keeper before slotting home. Bassingbourn kept pressing until the end but Chishill’s defence saw the game out without any further drama.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 5 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 10 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
Great Chishill: Fiddler; Kew, Saward, Hicks, Gardiner; Henderson, E Drury, J Drury, Boulter; Smith, Radford. Subs: Edey, Bennett, R Drury.