Chishill see off rivals Bassingbourn
Bassingbourn 1-4 Great Chishill
A MUCH improved defensive display from Great Chishill helped them come out on top in a well contested local derby against Bassingbourn.
Although the visitors enjoyed more possession in the early stages it was Bassingbourn who broke the deadlock, with their striker driving in a low shot after Chishill’s defence had failed to clear.
But they responded within minutes when Louis Boulter found space in the box and hit a first time effort across the ‘keeper and in off the post. Oli Gardiner then played in Gary Radford down the left wing and his low cross was turned in by a Bassingbourn defender to give Chishill the lead.
And Chishill gave themselves a comfortable lead going into half time when Liam Henderson hit a spectacular 30-yard drive into the corner.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half, determined to get back in the game, the hosts had Chishill penned in their own half for long periods. They came close to pulling a goal back when they headed against a post from a corner, and Charlie Fiddler was alert in the Chishill goal to parry a deflected free-kick before Colin Saward scrambled away the loose ball under the nose of Bassingbourn’s striker.
But any threat of a comeback was killed off when a flowing passing move led to substitute Gareth Edey playing in Lee Smith, who rounded the ‘keeper before slotting home. Bassingbourn kept pressing until the end but Chishill’s defence saw the game out without any further drama.
- 1 Village school's annual fayre is a big hit
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 4 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 5 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
- 6 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 7 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 8 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 9 Hunt the hearts at town trail to raise money for charity
- 10 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
Great Chishill: Fiddler; Kew, Saward, Hicks, Gardiner; Henderson, E Drury, J Drury, Boulter; Smith, Radford. Subs: Edey, Bennett, R Drury.