Chishill leave Thaxted with a point in the bag
Thaxted Rangers 2 Great Chishill 2 GREAT Chishill were pleased with their performance in this draw but left Thaxted frustrated with the result on Saturday. On a mud bath pitch, football was difficult but Chishill made all the early wading. Gareth Edey s e
Thaxted Rangers 2 Great Chishill 2
GREAT Chishill were pleased with their performance in this draw but left Thaxted frustrated with the result on Saturday.
On a mud bath pitch, football was difficult but Chishill made all the early wading.
Gareth Edey's early chance was smothered while Thaxted came close with a header that rattled the crossbar.
It was the visitors who took a deserved lead though when a flowing move was finished by Edey from Jonathan Drury's through ball after 20 minutes.
Edey then returned the favour by flicking a right-wing cross into Drury's path and he lashed a half-volley in off the post.
- 1 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 2 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 3 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
- 9 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
- 10 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
Chishill were cruising and almost added a third when Gary Radford shot into the side netting but the hosts pulled a goal back before half time with a 20-yard shot that was deflected into the roof of the net.
The game remained tight just after the break when chances were limited at both ends however an equaliser came when a Rangers striker ran on to a long ball to finish well.
There were loud protests from Chishill as he appeared to have pulled Oli Gardiner's shirt as the Chishill defender attempted to clear, but the goal stood.
Gardiner went on to make two crucial clearances in the six-yard box to snuff out Thaxted's efforts for a winner, while at the other end Peter Jackson saw his shot saved by the goalkeeper's feet in the closing minutes.
Chishill: R Drury; Gardiner, Smith, Bennett, Bramwell; Jackson, E Drury, Saward, J Drury, Radford; Edey. Subs: Hodge, Wright.