Chishill inflict first defeat of the season on Royston Town ‘A’
Great Chishill 1 Royston Town ‘A’ 0
GREAT CHISHILL came out on top in a tense derby on Saturday.
After a brutal opening 20 minutes which saw bookings awarded to both teams, it was Chishill who came closest to scoring when Gary Radford struck the woodwork after outpacing the defence while Elliot Drury also had a 20-yard free-kick go an inch wide of the post.
The relentless pace of the game continued after the break and Chishill made the breakthrough when Radford bravely got on the end of a through ball ahead of the defender and goalkeeper to poke the ball home from inside the box.
With a team depleted by injuries, Chishill had to withstand a barrage of Royston attacks, but goalkeeper Andy Knight was rarely called into action.
Royston’s task was made harder with the dismissal of Kerry Chaffey for a late challenge on George Kew with 15 minutes left and Chishill had several good chances in the closing minutes to seal the game.
However, the solitary goal was enough to secure a well-deserved win and inflict the first league defeat of the season on Royston.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
Great Chishill: Knight, Hicks, Saward, Bennett, Gardiner, Kew, Drury, Smith, Miller, Tidey, Radford.