Chishill draw with Villa
Ashdon Villa 1-1 Great Chishill
Ashdon Villa 1
Great Chishill 1
BIS Division 2A
BOTH teams played out a dull stalemate on Saturday with neither goalkeeper having much to do.
You may also want to watch:
Chishill started the brightest and should have taken the lead inside two minutes when Gary Radford went clean through on goal, but his low shot just went wide. Radford ran through for a second time shortly after, only to be prevented by a last-ditch tackle as he was about to shoot.
But it was third time lucky for Radford when Liam Henderson played him in and Radford coolly slotted home after 20 minutes.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 8 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
Villa responded well and Charlie Fidler was at full stretch to tip a low shot onto the post to keep his team ahead. There were further chances for both teams in the first half but the visitors led at the break.
The home side started the second half looking for an early equaliser and they soon found one through fortuitous circumstances. There seemed to be little danger in a low shot from the edge of the box, but a wicked deflection off Colin Saward wrong-footed Fidler and the ball rolled inside the post.
Chishill never really recovered from the setback and it was Villa who always looked the more likely to grab a winner, although they failed to create any clear cut chances or really test the Chishill ‘keeper.
Chishill’s only threats were a low shot from Radford which the ‘keeper dealt with easily, and a spectacular volley from Matt Miller which flew just past the post. Russell Drury blocked a late Villa effort on the line in a frantic goalmouth scramble as injury-ravaged Chishill dug in to claim a point.
Great Chishill: Fidler; Gardiner, Saward, Bennett, Knight; Miller, J Drury, Henderson, Boulter; Smith, Radford.