Chishill cause shock in Shield
Creake Shield Steeple Bumpstead 0 Great Chishill 2 GREAT Chishill caused an upset in the Creake Shield as they overcame First Division opponents Steeple Bumpstead. Although the hosts movement caused problems at the start, Chishill were not intimidate
Steeple Bumpstead 0
Great Chishill 2
GREAT Chishill caused an upset in the Creake Shield as they overcame First Division opponents Steeple Bumpstead.
Although the hosts' movement caused problems at the start, Chishill were not intimidated, playing some neat passing football and coming close to scoring with a Jon Hodge effort.
The scores remained level at half time but the visitors went ahead early in the second half when Gary Radford's chipped cross eluded the Bumpstead goalkeeper and dropped into the far corner.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 3 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 4 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 5 New mayor makes historic market her first stop
- 6 Councillors take the plunge to raise money for Home-Start
- 7 New mayor elected in historic moment for Royston Town Council
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Royston drama group CADS wins new play award for The Blonde Bombshell at Welwyn festival
Steeple missed their best opportunity soon after, their striker somehow clearing the crossbar from three yards.
Radford punished their wastefulness when he rounded the 'keeper to score from a tight angle for his and Chishill's second.
Steeple threw everything at their Division Two opponents but the back four, marshalled superbly by Colin Saward and James Bennett, and goalkeeper Russ Drury, were equal to everything.
Jonathan Drury had a header cleared off the line at the other end but it did not matter as Chishill progressed to the next round.
Chishill: R Drury; Gardiner, Saward, Bennett, Bramwell; Jackson, E Drury, Hodge, J Drury; Radford, Edey. Subs: Porter, Williams.