Cheshunt knock under-strength Royston Town out of Herts Senior Cup

Royston manager Steve Castle

Royston manager Steve Castle - Credit: Archant

Royston Town may be flying high in the league but Steve Castle’s second-string side again put in a substandard performance in a cup of less significance as they missed out on a potential Garden Walk showdown with Stevenage in the next round.

Having lost 3-2 at Biggleswade Town in the Red Insure Cup last month, a shadow of the side tearing teams apart in Southern League Division One Central as of late, Castle again chose to shake things up, making nine changes from the team that eased past Wingate and Finchley 2-0 in the FA Trophy first qualifying round at the weekend.

It is understandable that these local cups are low on Castle’s priorities this season but there is something to be said for consistency, momentum and confidence-building and this woeful performance demonstrated none of these.

Missed opportunities to score in the first half were multiple as the woodwork was struck twice and shaved twice more as Town could not put an early marker down with a goal.

Suitably punished for their inadequate inaccuracy, a mix-up in the 29th minute allowed Cheshunt’s Adam Bolle to strike following a poorly defended corner.

Scott Bridges gave way to Ryan Towner at half-time and the Crows came out lively and keen to get back in this cup tie.

They did level on 50 minutes as striker Rob Mason surged centrally into the box and was clumsily dragged down before he could get a shot off.

Most Read

Mason took the resulting penalty himself and made no mistake, striking a firm shot past the Cheshunt goalkeeper.

Kaan Fehmi entered the fray for Josh Castiglione and despite the visitors’ endeavour to manufacture clear-cut chances on goal, progress was severely hindered by poor passing, shocking ball retention and mis-communication.

With Castle urging for more quality, the game was effectively over on 78 minutes as a good cross was delivered and Jason Hallett had an unchallenged header that went high into Mayson Tewkesbury’s net.

With the match stretched, as the Crows looked for an elusive equaliser that was not to come, the hosts finished the match off in added time with Ayrton Coley showing good quick feet and a decent finish to eliminate the visitors.