Cheetahs win Evergreen Youth tournament
Adam Mason’s brace in the final sinks Abbots Youth
The Knebworth Youth U11 Cheetahs have finished off the season in fine style after a hat-trick of tournament victories.
It began with the Bedford Park 11-a-side event three weeks ago where they were crowned champions competing against some excellent teams from across Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire.
This was followed up last week at the Evergreen Youth tournament where they were unbeaten all day, playing against strong teams from the west of the region.
And then on Saturday it was the Knebworth Youth tournament and the competition could not have been tougher with two league champions amongst the entries as well as many teams playing top flight football in their respective leagues.
You may also want to watch:
The Cheetahs, with several new faces in the squad, are starting to look a formidable outfit and they qualified from their group in this last tournament as winners after winning four games and drawing just one, with no goals conceded.
In the semi-final they took on the RCYFL U11 Champions Arlesey Town Youth but never looked troubled after Leon Okuboyejo opened the scoring in the first half. Sam Swain wrapped up the victory after intercepting a poor throw from the Arlesey goalkeeper and lobbing him from outside the area.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Historic Mayflower train makes its way through Royston and Meldreth
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
This victory would pitch the Knebworth side against Bushmead Rovers, runaway winners of the Chiltern U11 League and also reigning champions from the Knebworth Tournament, in the final.
Adam Mason linked up well with Swain to smash the ball in from an impossible wide angle early in the game to settle the Cheetahs and then Jeffrey Worifah pounced on two clever through balls (from Swain and Taylor Wilson) to increase the lead in the second half and the Cheetahs looking unstoppable at 3-0. Sam Swain wrapped up the game with a fourth goal near the end and that makes it 17 titles from under-six to under-11 age groups for this talented group of footballers.