Charlie’s double keeps up title bid

TWO goals from Charlie Briggs and a Neil Blyth goal helped the under-10 Templars keep the pressure on the league leaders as they beat Letchworth Garden City Eagles 3-1. The under-10 Crusaders suffered a rare defeat against Eagles B side, with Joshua Jone

TWO goals from Charlie Briggs and a Neil Blyth goal helped the under-10 Templars keep the pressure on the league leaders as they beat Letchworth Garden City Eagles 3-1.

The under-10 Crusaders suffered a rare defeat against Eagles' B side, with Joshua Jones scoring the Crusaders lone goal in a 3-1 scoreline.

A Harry Moore hat-trick and a Anthony Inverarity goal helped the under-10 Knights to a 4-0 win over Bishop's Stortford Athletic, while the under-10 Lancers were on the wrong end of a 4-1 defeat by Bishop's Stortford Colts despite a Kier Boyd goal.

Both the under-11 Templars and Knights suffered defeats. The Templars going down 5-3 at unbeaten Thaxted, and the Knights by 5-0 to promotion chasing Bishop's Stortford Rangers.

The under-11 Lancers produced their biggest win of the season as they beat bottom placed Albion Youth by 6-0.

The under-12 Knights produced the best performance of the day by coming back from 5-1 down at half time to earn a point.

Most Read

They got off to the worse possible start going 1-0 down after about five seconds, and soon after it become 2-0.

The Knights pulled one back through a penalty by Alex Surridge only for the home side to score three more goals before the break to make it 5-1.

The second half was a completely different story and it was not long before Jordan Bright pulled one back, then another and then he completed his hat-trick to make it 5-4 before George Jackson was on hand to score the equaliser and make the final score 5-5.

The under-13 Templars, lying third in Division One, and league leaders Bishop's Stortford shared the points as they fought out a goalless draw.

The under-13 Lancers found promotion chasing Arlesey Town too good on the day, and although Alec Maguire was on target twice and Charlie Knighton also scored, the visitors ran out 8-3 winners.

The under-13 Knights produced an excellent performance to beat a well organised Buntingford Cogars side. 3-2.

Division Four under-14 Knights bowed out of their League Cup against an in-form Saturn side who are currently fifth placed in Division One, but they put up a brave performance on a mud bath of a pitch.

The hosts opened the scoring after 10 minutes and a fierce 25 yard shot just beat Knights keeper Josh Farrell to make the score 2-0 after 20 minutes.

The Knights pulled a goal back from Jack Fidock only for the home side to add another before the break to make the half-time score 3-1.

Both sides scored quick goals in the second half, the Knights scoring from one of their training ground corners via Jack Fidock.

There was no further score in the last 25 minutes although the home keeper was forced to pull off a number of fine saves to thwart the Knights and help Saturn move into the next round 4-2.

The under-15 Knights continued their recent excellent form at Stevenage Colts. Aaron Slack and Duane Brailsford both scored twice and further goals from James Farrar and Toby Reeves completed a convincing 6-0 victory.

The under-15 Lancers moved closer to securing promotion to Division 1 with an emphatic 5-1 win at lowly Bishop's Stortford Athletic. Lee Chapman was on target twice, while Joel Strickland, Sam Fraser-Bossom and Luke Farmer also got their names on the score sheet.

The under-18 Crusaders will be kicking themselves for letting a two goal lead slip in their League Cup semi final match against league leaders Bishop's Stortford.

Goals from Tom Cookman and Oliver Lee looked to have given the Crusaders a place in the final before Stortford hit back with three goals. Oliver Lee nearly levelled things when he hit a post in the last minute, but it was the visitors who hung on to book a place in the final with a 3-2 victory.

Thaxted Rangers U-11 5 Baldock Town Youth Templars 3

AN early Thaxted goal set the tone as Baldock slipped to defeat on Sunday.

Baldock levelled when Matt Judges headed on to George Higginson on Baldock's left wing, a good pass on to Mark Rogers who lobbed the Thaxted keeper.

Thaxted quickly retook control and went 2-1 up after 13 minutes with a good display of passing football. Only a save from keeper Alex Taylor and a goal line clearance from Alex Close stopped Thaxted adding more as Baldock struggled up the hill.

Four minutes before half time Thaxted made it 3-1, a strange shot that looked to be going well over the crossbar was caught by the wind and ended up in the back of Baldock's net.

But in injury time of the first half Daniel Nicholson sprinted down the right wing. His cross was half cleared, but only as far as Judges who shot home from the edge of the box.

Baldock were back in the game and looking forward to playing down the hill. Five minutes into the second half and Badock were rewarded with a free kick as Nicholson was cynically brought down from behind on the wing.

William Budd's free kick was saved but George Higginson was following in to net.

Thaxted came back again though and midway through the half broke away for 4-3, and nearly added another as Sam Kendle was forced to clear the ball off the line for Baldock.

The remaining 10 minutes was end to end football as Baldock were determined to find the equaliser. Instead, they were caught on the break in the last minute to wrap things up.

Baldock Knights U-13 3 Buntingford Cougars 2

KNIGHTS bounced back after a poor run of results to take the Crow League points on Sunday.

The hosts took the game to Buntingford right from the kick off resulting in an early corner, from which an awkward cross found George Laurence, who ran in and fired the ball home to put Baldock 1-0 up.

The goal settled the Knights and the early play was dominated by Baldock who should have gone further ahead with shots from Tom Batt, Charan Basra and especially Chris Weeks whose goal bound effort bought out a tremendous save from the keeper.

Buntingford were also having trouble coping with Baldock's tactic of launching long throw-ins into the area and Charan Basra once again came close after yet another throw was unable to be cleared.

The Cougars fought back and a well timed breakaway saw the visitors even matters up with a good shot that Baldock were unable to clear.

Although the Knights' new signing Brandon Cockwill saw a good effort go just past a post, the scores remained level at half time.

The second half started with Baldock taking the majority of possession, and this paid off with the Knight's second goal.

Once again the long throw tactic paid off and a huge launch from George Leete went straight to an unmarked Basra who coolly converted to make the score 2-1.

Shortly after a Kai Davies shot went just wide as Baldock looked to increase their lead.

Buntingford, however, were not content to let Baldock slip away and started to fight their way back into the contest and Baldock's Jordon Morley chose this encounter to have an inspirational game keeping the Cougars attack at bay.

Buntingford's pressure started to show and they were awarded a penalty after a goalmouth scramble. The resulting spot kick struck the bar and rebounded back to an oncoming Cougars striker whose shot was bravely saved by Steven Scarlino.

Buntingford still pressed forward and they finally drew level after a very close offside decision went in their favour.

Amazingly, from the kick off, Baldock regained the lead after a good pass from Ross Cleveley saw hard working Jordon Davis run on and shoot into the visitors goal to make the score 3-2.