Chances created, but result was a draw
Royston Ladies 0 Bedford II 0 ROYSTON went close early on, with chances created by Lucy Davidson and Alex Meredith-Hardy. And they battled well to earn their first point of the season. Despite good work between Ruth Askham and Sarah Buckerfield on the ri
Royston Ladies 0 Bedford II 0
ROYSTON went close early on, with chances created by Lucy Davidson and Alex Meredith-Hardy.
And they battled well to earn their first point of the season.
Despite good work between Ruth Askham and Sarah Buckerfield on the right, Royston just could not finish.
With their first short corner Buckerfield fired a shot straight at goal.
But good defending by the opposition meant that Royston were denied the opener.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 5 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 6 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 7 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 8 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
In the second half Bedford started strongly putting pressure on Royston's defence.
Several times Kerry Alexander successfully managed to break down play and clear the ball from the defence.
Karen Mackay then made a vital tackle to stop a goal-bound shot to keep Royston level.
Broxbourne Ladies III 2 Royston II 3
ROYSTON'S good start to the season continued with a flourish in their second league game.
The visitors started keenly and the game quickly developed into what was to become an end-to-end match.
Royston soon found that the Broxbourne attack were quick to take advantage of any slips in the Royston midfield, making the ball do the hard work.
This, at times, left Royston lagging behind whilst the home side's forwards were left to run on to keeper Jane Stapleton, who had her work cut out.
After winning a couple of short corners, Broxbourne caught Royston on the break and the ball was neatly slipped from the right wing to their centre forward, who fired them into the lead.
Royston hit back when Jules Fuller took advantage of a scrum in the D and slipped the ball over the line.
Fuller then put Royston ahead, following excellent play by Sarah Farmer and Wendy Finlay.
And they made it 3-1 when Sarah Farmer converted a penalty corner.
Royston's hold on the game only slipped towards the end, when Broxbourne managed to claw back one goal from free play.
Royston Ladies III 0 Vauxhall Chiltern III 2
ROYSTON played their first home game of the season and the scoreline did not reflect their good hockey.
They fell behind early on, but then played play some great hockey.
The midfield of Helen Miles and Caroline Yarrow and Rosie Polge played well on the right with some well-worked one/twos.