Celebrations follow final day of the season

Crows finish in style with 4-2 win over Haringey

Royston Town 4

Haringey Borough 2

SSMFL Premier Division

OVERALL this turned out to be the most perfect day for Royston Town Football Club where the only dampener was the weather, but even that was never going to spoil one of the greatest days in the club’s history.

While the club worked hard to promote the game with the hope of getting a record attendance, the appalling rain would have put many off but 503 hardy souls braved the elements and were treated to a fine performance from Paul Attfield’s side.

Having already won the league, the Crows played like a team with little pressure on their shoulders and the quality in their passing game and creativity were back at optimum levels. In fairness Royston probably should have won by a greater margin but it was fitting to finish the league season with a good win.

Most Read

The victory was built on a dominating first-half showing and a three-goal lead. There was plenty of good attacking football from the Crows and the visiting defence was under intense pressure for large spells.

Haringey looked particularly vulnerable from set-plays in the early stages and Jason Beck had a free header from a Lewis Endacott free-kick that he headed wide before Town took an 11th-minute lead from another set-play. Ryan Lockett’s corner was not cleared and John McGrandles reacted quickest to fire home from eight yards out.

Haringey had plenty of the ball but lacked a cutting edge in the final third. Their tricky right winger caused full-back Jack Bradshaw a few problems but his neat approach play wasn’t met with the same end result and ‘keeper Damion Williamson was only called on to make one first half save from a 20-yard shot low to his left.

Royston continued to look the more likely and both Lockett and Luke Robins had shots well saved by the ‘keeper with Lockett also having a close-range shot turned onto the post before the home side doubled their lead on 35 minutes with a goal almost identical to the first. Again, Haringey fluffed their lines trying to clear a corner and McGrandles diverted the ball high into the net from six yards out.

The home side’s first-half domination was rewarded with a third goal before the break when Robins was played through at an angle to goal with his drive across the keeper being diverted into the net via a defender’s foot.

The Crows continued with their same style at the beginning of the second half and added a fourth goal just five minutes in. A well-delivered cross from Endacott was volleyed into the net by striker Kaan Fehmi from 12 yards.

As the game wore on Royston dropped the tempo of their game, allowing Haringey some good moments with Williamson making one smart one-on-one block. The scoreline was reduced with a neat 10-yard finish from Chris Morgan, while Dean Fenton pulled back another goal in stoppage time, but the game had long since been over.

Royston Town: Williamson, Endacott (Clemo), Bradshaw, McGrandles, Beck, Collins, Edwards, Malins, Lockett (Matt Standen), Fehmi, Robins.