Celebration time for champions
TABLE TENNIS: The final week of the NHTTA League programme provided mixed results for Royston s teams. It was good news for the C team though, who as expected, clinched the Division Two title, with a 6-4 victory over Broadway D thanks to two singles wins
TABLE TENNIS: The final week of the NHTTA League programme provided mixed results for Royston's teams.
It was good news for the C team though, who as expected, clinched the Division Two title, with a 6-4 victory over Broadway D thanks to two singles wins apiece from Terry Bailey, Gordon Barnes and Haydn Gowan.
And three singles wins from Derek Clark and Julian Lugg, plus two from Andy Teemal, and a Lugg and Teemal double, saw the D team romp to an overwhelming 9-1 win against LABB A.
They had hoped it would be enough to secure runners-up spot behind the C Team.
However, a win for Green Man G has forced a runners-up/promotion play off.
In Division One, the B team, who had just a one- point lead, could manage only a 5-5 draw at Settlement Ravens, with two singles wins by Mike Malone and Martyn Symons, and one from Alf Mills.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 2 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 5 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 Imperial War Museums launches first ever IWM Live event at Duxford this year
- 10 Gripping retelling of Blood Brothers coming to the ADC Theatre in Cambridge
The result proved insufficient, as Green Man C claimed the title with their 7-3 win.
The B team will also face a runners-up/promotion playoff, with Bedwell C's 6-4 victory levelling them on points.
In the Premier Division, a depleted A team paid the price for fielding a weakened team against Settlement Skylarks with a disappointing 9-1 thrashing. Alf Mills took Royston's only single win.
And in Division Three, the E team ended their season on a high with a 6-4 win over Settlement Eagles, courtesy of two singles from Barry Sharp and one from Fred Bendall, added to three games their opponents conceded for failing to register a full team.