Cantabs provide a tough challenge
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday. The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw. Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday.
The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw.
Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit back with Stuart Jones, Eli Smith and Michael Church all scoring on their debut, before the visitors levelled the score late in the game.
First team captain Steve Clay said: "Trial matches such as this are vital in our preparations for the forthcoming season.
You may also want to watch:
"Cantabs provided excellent opposition that really tested our tactics and skills and helped expose some weaknesses where we need to focus our training to strengthen our performance this year."
Royston have a second friendly against the Army on Wednesday evening, with further friendly fixtures against Cambridge and Watford before the opening league fixture against Wasps on September 23.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
Squad training takes place on Tuesday nights at 7pm with skills training on Thursdays at the same time, and the club welcomes new players.
Anyone interested should contact Lloyd Mullenger on 01763 246900.