Cantabs provide a tough challenge
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday. The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw. Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday.
The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw.
Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit back with Stuart Jones, Eli Smith and Michael Church all scoring on their debut, before the visitors levelled the score late in the game.
First team captain Steve Clay said: "Trial matches such as this are vital in our preparations for the forthcoming season.
"Cantabs provided excellent opposition that really tested our tactics and skills and helped expose some weaknesses where we need to focus our training to strengthen our performance this year."
Royston have a second friendly against the Army on Wednesday evening, with further friendly fixtures against Cambridge and Watford before the opening league fixture against Wasps on September 23.
- 1 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 9 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 10 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
Squad training takes place on Tuesday nights at 7pm with skills training on Thursdays at the same time, and the club welcomes new players.
Anyone interested should contact Lloyd Mullenger on 01763 246900.