Cantabs provide a tough challenge
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday. The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw. Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit
ROYSTON Rugby Club stepped up pre-season training with a friendly match against Cantabs on Saturday.
The first team squad turned out in full for what proved to be a fast-flowing draw.
Cantabs took a commanding lead with a pair of tries, but Royston hit back with Stuart Jones, Eli Smith and Michael Church all scoring on their debut, before the visitors levelled the score late in the game.
First team captain Steve Clay said: "Trial matches such as this are vital in our preparations for the forthcoming season.
"Cantabs provided excellent opposition that really tested our tactics and skills and helped expose some weaknesses where we need to focus our training to strengthen our performance this year."
Royston have a second friendly against the Army on Wednesday evening, with further friendly fixtures against Cambridge and Watford before the opening league fixture against Wasps on September 23.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 3 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 6 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Squad training takes place on Tuesday nights at 7pm with skills training on Thursdays at the same time, and the club welcomes new players.
Anyone interested should contact Lloyd Mullenger on 01763 246900.