Canoeing - White water winners all the way
THERE was success for the Baldock and District Canoe Club at the weekend, with winning runs in both the doubles and singles categories. Brian McCusker finished 3rd in the National Division 3 Men s Kayak Event that was held at Orton Mere in Peterborough o
THERE was success for the Baldock and District Canoe Club at the weekend, with winning runs in both the doubles and singles categories.
Brian McCusker finished 3rd in the National Division 3 Men's Kayak Event that was held at Orton Mere in Peterborough on Saturday. A couple of penalties on his first run saw Brian in second place, but a missed gate on his following run after a capsize, saw him knocked down to finish 3rd.
In the Division 4 C2 doubles event, the Baldock pairing of Carmel Buttimer and Michelle Grudzinski fared even better. Their first run saw them capsize and retire, but their second run was near flawless, seeing them complete the course and take 1st place with a confident effort.
On Sunday Brian returned to the event on the River Nene to compete in the second Division 3 Mens Kayak event. He clocked the fastest time of the day in his first run, despite incurring two penalties. After the first attempts the nearest competitor was a staggering 12 seconds behind on the leaderboard.
You may also want to watch:
That lead wasn't taken for granted as Brian ran another quick time - a second behind his first attempt - that proved unbeatable and gave him promotion into Division 2.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 5 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 6 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 10 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs