Canoeing - White water winners all the way
THERE was success for the Baldock and District Canoe Club at the weekend, with winning runs in both the doubles and singles categories. Brian McCusker finished 3rd in the National Division 3 Men s Kayak Event that was held at Orton Mere in Peterborough o
THERE was success for the Baldock and District Canoe Club at the weekend, with winning runs in both the doubles and singles categories.
Brian McCusker finished 3rd in the National Division 3 Men's Kayak Event that was held at Orton Mere in Peterborough on Saturday. A couple of penalties on his first run saw Brian in second place, but a missed gate on his following run after a capsize, saw him knocked down to finish 3rd.
In the Division 4 C2 doubles event, the Baldock pairing of Carmel Buttimer and Michelle Grudzinski fared even better. Their first run saw them capsize and retire, but their second run was near flawless, seeing them complete the course and take 1st place with a confident effort.
On Sunday Brian returned to the event on the River Nene to compete in the second Division 3 Mens Kayak event. He clocked the fastest time of the day in his first run, despite incurring two penalties. After the first attempts the nearest competitor was a staggering 12 seconds behind on the leaderboard.
You may also want to watch:
That lead wasn't taken for granted as Brian ran another quick time - a second behind his first attempt - that proved unbeatable and gave him promotion into Division 2.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 3 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 4 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange