Cambridge United dream of play-offs
CAMBRIDGE United fans are dreaming of a Wembley play-off final once more after two successive away wins The U s place in the play-offs looked in doubt following a run of one win in six matches. However, after Tuesday night s 2-1 victory at Rushden they n
CAMBRIDGE United fans are dreaming of a Wembley play-off final once more after two successive away wins
The U's place in the play-offs looked in doubt following a run of one win in six matches.
However, after Tuesday night's 2-1 victory at Rushden they now have a five -point gap between themselves and Exeter in sixth position.
Backed by a large and vocal travelling contingent, United were second best for much of the first half, with Jon Challinor twice going close for Rushden.
You may also want to watch:
But in the second period they took control of the match, and Mark Beesley got the opening goal in 65th minute, capping a flowing passing move which involved Courtney Pitt, Lee Boylan, and Rob Wolleaston.
Beesley added a second eight minutes later, side-footing home a Pitt centre, although Diamonds pulled a goal back almost immediately through Michael Rankine to set up a tense finish.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 3 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 8 Award-winning CADS production at Royston Arts Festival
- 9 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
On Saturday Beesley also found the net in a 2-0 win at bottom club Droylsden, hitting a 25-yard screamer just after half-time. Ben Farrell had given United an early lead with his first goal for the club.
This Saturday United host Stafford Rangers, who were relegated following defeat by York City on Tuesday night. The match kicks off at 3pm.