Callum’s scorcher seals derby victory

Royston Colts U-9 A 0 Royston Celtic A 1 THIS derby game proved to be a match worth watching for the excellent tactics displayed by Celtic. Lorcan George put pressure on the Colts keeper as he made several shots at goal and he was well supported

Royston Colts U-9 A 0 Royston Celtic A 1

THIS derby game proved to be a match worth watching for the excellent tactics displayed by Celtic.

Lorcan George put pressure on the Colts keeper as he made several shots at goal and he was well supported by midfielders Ollie Green, Edward Atkins and Callum Pinner who made great passes up and down the pitch proving once again that the team works well together.

Brandon Hargreaves was called on to replace Green who went off for the remainder of the first half due to injury.

You may also want to watch:

New signing Jordan Cooney proved worthy of a change of team when he displayed some great defence against his old team Colts.

He and James Denman prevented the home team from scoring with some brilliant clearances making the job of keeper Ben Watson easier.

Most Read

The second half saw more of the same pressure and the efforts of the team saw a return to form from Pinner who scored a great goal and celebrated in his usual style.

Royston Colts U-9 B 0 Royston Celtic B 0

UNFORTUNATELY, this match only lasted for the first half as the match was abandoned at half-time due to rain, thunder and lightning, but the first half saw a brilliant play from Celtic.

Jimi Smith once again belted up and down the pitch ably supported by Robbie Filby, Tom McGlynn and Matthew Cudmore in midfield.

Keeper Jack Mills made some good saves and defenders Charlie Bartlett and Jack Ison put pressure on the attacking midfielders of Colts.

Royston Town Colts U-11 1 Letchworth GCE Yellows 7

COLTS found Yellows too strong on Sunday.

The game swung Letchworths way on 12 minutes in with a lovely solo effort from Christopher Moore, turning one way then another before scoring with a crisp strike.

Soon after that Kyle Males took a corner which Jordan Leech-Levy met with a thunderous half volley, only to see the ball strike the crossbar and bounce the wrong side of the goalline.

Soon after, he showed a good turn of speed to take a ball passed from midfield and shot past the keeper to make it 2-0 to Letchworth.

It was Ryan Gillham who made the third goal, putting a peach of a pass through to Caspar Courlander who took the ball out wide before shooting back across the keeper and into the net.

The match was over as a competition when Courlander made a great break down the left flank and crossed it in.

The keeper pushed it away, but Adam Morris was first to the rebound and smashed the ball into the back of the net.

Alex Garbas scored another lovely goal as a reward for his hard work to make it 5-0.

Then Royston got a deserved goal but it was a case of too little too late, and this was emphasised by a superb goal from the re start with Fenton bamboozling the defence with another fine run, including the dummy of the season, before crossing in for Leech-Levy to stroke it home.

The final goal of the game was another beauty as Courlander took another pass from Gillham down the left hand side.

He took the ball and belted it with his left foot from some way out. The goalkeeper got a hand to it, but it had too much power and it was in the back of the net.

Royston Celtic U-15 1 New Hall Rangers 1

CELTIC were forced to share the points after a tough game on Sunday.

The game opened with Celtic looking comfortable on the ball with a good passing game. As the first half progressed they created some excellent openings with the best chance of the half being header by Tom Higton going over following a Mitchell Cooper corner.

Rangers were limited during this half to a couple of long range changes as Robbie Connell in midfield commanded the play and the Celtic defence proved impenetrable.

The second half opened with Rangers looking more lively aided by a following wind. Early chances were denied once again with good defence from Ryan Waller however Rangers eventually went ahead.

Celtic replied with vigour and their efforts were rewarded after about 10 minutes when Tom Higton lobbed the keeper from an acute angle to put the home team level.

Rangers immediately attacked and thought that they had retaken the lead however the goal was disallowed due to offside.

In the later stages the teams were evenly matched and Rob Fuller;s excellent defending prevented a New Hall's striker near the end of the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus