California beckons for Royston golfer after World Championship qualifier win
- Credit: Archant
An eight-year-old golfer from Royston has won a World Championship qualifier competition to land a place at a competition in the USA.
Youngster Lila-Belle Nacca was successful at Park Hill Golf Club on Sunday as she won British Junior Golf Tour’s qualifying event for the IMG Academy Junior World Championship in California this summer.
A member of Kingsway Golf Club in Melbourn, Nacca was in good touch over 18 holes on the main course at the Leicestershire venue as she carded a score of 77 to finish four shots ahead of the field in the girls’ seven to eight age group.
To cap a wonderful day for the golf ace, the youngster was also interviewed by Sky Sports television show Game Changers, who sent their film crew to cover the competition.
Fellow local golfer Luca Randall (Bourn and Cambridge Meridian) just missed out on top spot in the boys’ seven to eight age group as Jaxson Perry from The Kendleshire took the honours by a single stroke.
You may also want to watch:
Almost 130 golfers from across the country took part in all the divisions as they attempted to book a place in the prestigious 2017 event, whose previous winners include Tiger Woods (1984, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1991), Ernie Els (1984) and Phil Mickelson (1980).
The top boy and girl in all the six age groups will now represent British Junior Golf Tour in the competition, which will feature 1,200 participants from 56 countries, from July 10.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
Priced at just £15 for 18 holes or £10 for the nine-hole competitions, for more details of the events taking place on British Junior Golf Tour this year, visit www.juniorgolftour.co.uk.