C team have a hand on title
(TABLE TENNIS) THE penultimate week of the NHHTA League programme saw the eagerly-anticipated top-of-the-table showdown between Royston C and Royston D in Division Two. The previous encounter had ended 5-5, so another closely contested meeting was expected. And they d
THE penultimate week of the NHHTA League programme saw the eagerly-anticipated top-of-the-table showdown between Royston C and Royston D in Division Two.
The previous encounter had ended 5-5, so another closely contested meeting was expected.
And they did not disappoint, with both teams producing some entertaining action.
Man-of-the-match Gordon Barnes won all of his singles, and the doubles with Haydn Gowan, to help the C team edge a narrow 6-4 victory.
Gowan and Terry Bailey also won singles for the C team, while two singles for Andy Teemal and one apiece for Derek Clark and Julian Lugg provided the points for the D team.
With a six-point lead, the C team now only have to avoid defeat in the last game to secure the title.
- 1 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 2 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
The A team ensured their survival in the Premier Division with an emphatic 8-2 victory over Broadway Le Roi B, thanks to John Manley's three singles, and two apiece as well as the doubles from Dave Bridger and Simon Cockman.
The B team will go into their final game of the season, holding a one-point lead at the top of Division One. Three singles each from Yuci Gou and Martyn Symonds plus one from Alf Mills gave the B team a comprehensive 7-3 win against Green Man E.
In Division Three the E team suffered another defeat, going down 6-4 at Green Man H, despite the efforts of Barry Sharp, who won all his singles and his doubles match alongside Fred Bendall.