C team have a hand on title
(TABLE TENNIS) THE penultimate week of the NHHTA League programme saw the eagerly-anticipated top-of-the-table showdown between Royston C and Royston D in Division Two. The previous encounter had ended 5-5, so another closely contested meeting was expected. And they d
THE penultimate week of the NHHTA League programme saw the eagerly-anticipated top-of-the-table showdown between Royston C and Royston D in Division Two.
The previous encounter had ended 5-5, so another closely contested meeting was expected.
And they did not disappoint, with both teams producing some entertaining action.
Man-of-the-match Gordon Barnes won all of his singles, and the doubles with Haydn Gowan, to help the C team edge a narrow 6-4 victory.
You may also want to watch:
Gowan and Terry Bailey also won singles for the C team, while two singles for Andy Teemal and one apiece for Derek Clark and Julian Lugg provided the points for the D team.
With a six-point lead, the C team now only have to avoid defeat in the last game to secure the title.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
The A team ensured their survival in the Premier Division with an emphatic 8-2 victory over Broadway Le Roi B, thanks to John Manley's three singles, and two apiece as well as the doubles from Dave Bridger and Simon Cockman.
The B team will go into their final game of the season, holding a one-point lead at the top of Division One. Three singles each from Yuci Gou and Martyn Symonds plus one from Alf Mills gave the B team a comprehensive 7-3 win against Green Man E.
In Division Three the E team suffered another defeat, going down 6-4 at Green Man H, despite the efforts of Barry Sharp, who won all his singles and his doubles match alongside Fred Bendall.