Buzzard too strong for Royston
Leighton Buzzard Ladies III 7 Royston Ladies II 1 BUZZARD again proved too strong for Royston, on Saturday. Trying to forget last season s matches against the home side, Royston were determined to start this season afresh and began with high hopes for th
Leighton Buzzard Ladies III 7
Royston Ladies II 1
BUZZARD again proved too strong for Royston, on Saturday.
Trying to forget last season's matches against the home side, Royston were determined to start this season afresh and began with high hopes for the game.
Leighton's eagerness was apparent and it was evident that the Royston defence would be under pressure from the outset from their three forwards, all of whom moved well on the pitch and created many opportunities on goal.
These could only be stopped for so long by Royston, who succumbed to an early goal 10 minutes into the first half.
- 1 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 2 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 4 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 5 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 8 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 9 Patients required to continue wearing face coverings in healthcare settings
- 10 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
The home side now spurred on, two further goals followed in quick succession leaving the visitors with no chance but to resign themselves to trying to claw back the game to at least a draw.
Royston's goal came before half time when a sterling run by Wendy Finlay left open gaps in the Leighton defence, allowing her to slip the ball across the goal for Jules Fuller to slam home.
Unfortunately, Royston could not maintain this momentum in the second half of the game and the uphill struggle continued for the Royston midfield and attack, who had their work cut out trying to pass the Leighton defence.