But it’s seven-up for super Chishill

Hempstead Utd 2 Great Chishill 7 CHISHILL ended another month unbeaten in the league, with a goal-fest against Hempstead. The visitors dug themselves a hole early on though, despite creating good openings, they failed to convert, and Hempstead, on

Hempstead Utd 2 Great Chishill 7

CHISHILL ended another month unbeaten in the league, with a goal-fest against Hempstead.

The visitors dug themselves a hole early on though, despite creating good openings, they failed to convert, and Hempstead, one place behind them going into the game, took a two goal lead, through a superb 40-yard lob, and a Dan Manning own goal.

The visitors instantly set about turning the game around quickly, and when defender Oli Gardiner found himself in an attacking position, he squared the ball to Luke Tyler who pulled a goal back.

It was Tyler again who levelled the game, curling in a 25-yard free-kick that gave the keeper no chance.

Soon after, they edged themselves in front, when Jonathan Drury chested down a left wing cross before swivelling to hit a low left foot shot into the corner.

Most Read

He then made it 4-2, rising to head home Tyler's cross, before completing his hat-trick just before half-time, latching on to Elliot Drury's quickly taken free-kick while the defence was napping.

With their opponents cruising with a three goal lead, the hosts seemed to give up in the second half, and the game developed a real lethargic mood, as both teams never felt like exerting themselves.

Ian Gallagher was rarely troubled in Chishill's goal. Meanwhile, at the other end Tyler also completed a hat-trick from the penalty spot after Oli Fitzgerald was fouled.

Gareth Edey added the seventh, slotting home from a tight angle after running on to Russell Drury's quick throw.

In the dying minutes, substitute Shaun Wilson almost added to the rout, but his lob came back off the post, and he also saw a spectacular overhead kick flash just wide.

Chishill: Gallagher; R Drury, Gardiner, Manning, Bramwell; Tyler, E Drury, Edey, Fitzgerald; Jackson, J Drury. Subs: Gibson, Wilson Radford.

West Wratting 1 Foxton 2

FOXTON kept their hopes of retaining the William Cockell Cup alive with a fine semi-final win at Wratting.

The first good chance of the game fell to Foxton in the third minute when they were awarded a free kick for a back pass about 12 yards out from goal.

However with all the home team players on the goal line, taker Sean Audley could only hit a body.

From then on both teams looked like they were not going to give much away and both failed to create many good openings, the best either side could manage were a couple of long range efforts, mostly off target.

The second half started badly for Foxton as the home team took the lead in only the fifth minute after an uncharacteristic error from the usually safe hands of Andy Cambridge.

The ball was swung into the box from wide and Cambridge managed to misjudge the flight of the ball and watch it sail past him as he punched mid air.

The visitors upped the tempo of their game and started to look sharper going forward. A good passing move down the right hand side ended with Adam Fields beating the keeper only to see a defender clear from behind.

This was a good sign for Fields and Foxton drew level when he managed to beat the advancing Wratting keeper to the ball from an astute Iain Tokley pass, rounding him and then slotting into an empty net.

With the game now level Foxton pushed forward looking to get a winner which finally came for them 10 minutes from time, Duncan Handscombe scoring the vital goal after he was set free with a clever pass from Darren Chamberlain, Handscombe turning a defender then curling the ball around the keeper from 20 yards out.

West Wratting pushed hard for the final minutes for an equaliser but the Foxton back line held strong to cement their place in the final where they will meet Ely City reserves.

Gt Chesterford Res 0 Steeple Morden 5

STEEPLE Morden hit form to record a comfortable five goal victory over Great Chesterford.

The margin could have been greater as Steeple created numerous chances without ever really being troubled at the back.

Young debutant Martin Donald gave an assured display at centre-half which earned him the man-of-the match award.

Despite dominating the first-half Steeple scored only once thanks to a low drive from the lively Martin Holt after good link play between the strikers.

The midfield pairing of Charlie Prothero and Paul Hutley both went close as they enjoyed the upper hand in the battle in the middle of the park.

Kicking into the wind in the second half suited Steeple who played more precise football and continued to carve out scoring opportunities.

The lead was extended on the hour when Joe Morris calmly cut inside his marker and drilled his shot home after good work from Roy Dunsford.

Andy Smith had a header cleared off the line and Graham Collins hit the crossbar with a free kick before a quick double from Ben Holt put the game beyond the hosts. Holt showed great composure to smash home both chances and take his season's tally to 30 goals.

Substitute Karl Parr completed the scoring by steering his shot beyond the keeper after a neat exchange with Joe Morris.

Steeple: T Tidey, M Carlton (G Collins), M Donald, A Smith, B Morris, J Morris, P Hutley, C Prothero, M Holt, R Dunsford ( K Parr), B Holt