Buntingford take derby honours
Buntingford Town Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 1 ROYSTON Vets finished the season with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Buntingford on Sunday – their first loss in 2007. With the main strike force of Peter Leete and Paul Lewis and midfielders Jason Clarke and Ke
Buntingford Town Vets 2
Royston Town Vets 1
ROYSTON Vets finished the season with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Buntingford on Sunday - their first loss in 2007.
With the main strike force of Peter Leete and Paul Lewis and midfielders Jason Clarke and Kevin Barthrop all unavailable from last week's side manager Terry Gore shuffled the pack and started with Dickie Harris and Colin McArthur up front.
You may also want to watch:
Town dominated the early stages with Mark Saggers and Carlo Silenti controlling the midfield and creating openings for wide men Nick Humphries and Daryl Quinn to deliver crosses into the box.
Harris latched onto a ball from the left and slotted home the opening goal from close range.
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 4 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 5 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 6 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 7 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 8 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
- 9 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 10 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
Royston's domination of possession continued but they were unable to extend their lead despite creating numerous good chances and at half-time had only the solitary goal to show for their effort.
After the break Buntingford came out in determined mood and deservedly equalised when slack defending allowed the home team's centre-forward room to shoot from the edge of the box into the bottom right-hand corner beyond keeper Merv Chaffey's reach.
The match was now evenly balanced and it was Buntingford who took the lead when they scored with an identical effort to their first.
The Crows created chances themselves with Humphries, Harris, Quinn and Saggers all going close but the home defence held firm and prevented Town an equaliser.
Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M. Cowley, K. Flack, I. Allen, N. King, M. Saggers, C. Silenti, N. Humphries, R. Harris, D.Quinn, C.McArthur, B.Cannon, I. King