Buntingford take derby honours
Buntingford Town Vets 2 Royston Town Vets 1 ROYSTON Vets finished the season with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Buntingford on Sunday – their first loss in 2007. With the main strike force of Peter Leete and Paul Lewis and midfielders Jason Clarke and Ke
Buntingford Town Vets 2
Royston Town Vets 1
ROYSTON Vets finished the season with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Buntingford on Sunday - their first loss in 2007.
With the main strike force of Peter Leete and Paul Lewis and midfielders Jason Clarke and Kevin Barthrop all unavailable from last week's side manager Terry Gore shuffled the pack and started with Dickie Harris and Colin McArthur up front.
You may also want to watch:
Town dominated the early stages with Mark Saggers and Carlo Silenti controlling the midfield and creating openings for wide men Nick Humphries and Daryl Quinn to deliver crosses into the box.
Harris latched onto a ball from the left and slotted home the opening goal from close range.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
Royston's domination of possession continued but they were unable to extend their lead despite creating numerous good chances and at half-time had only the solitary goal to show for their effort.
After the break Buntingford came out in determined mood and deservedly equalised when slack defending allowed the home team's centre-forward room to shoot from the edge of the box into the bottom right-hand corner beyond keeper Merv Chaffey's reach.
The match was now evenly balanced and it was Buntingford who took the lead when they scored with an identical effort to their first.
The Crows created chances themselves with Humphries, Harris, Quinn and Saggers all going close but the home defence held firm and prevented Town an equaliser.
Royston Town Vets: M. Chaffey, M. Cowley, K. Flack, I. Allen, N. King, M. Saggers, C. Silenti, N. Humphries, R. Harris, D.Quinn, C.McArthur, B.Cannon, I. King