Buckerfield and Robertson win Ladies’ Invitation
The latest news and results from Royston Golf Club
THE Royston Golf Club Ladies’ Invitation took place last week, bringing guests players from all over the East of England on a day that provided both sunshine and rain.
Pictured above are, from left to right, the eventual winners Sarah Buckerfield and Gill Robertson, enjoying cakes and drinks in the sunshine, at the halfway house, with Ann Martin of The Menzies Barr Hill Golf Club and Joan Buckerfield.
The pairing of Buckerfield and her guest Robertson of Sprowston Manor Golf Club, Norwich, played brilliantly to win with 38 points, ahead of Lyn Barker and her guest Ann Mitchell of Ely City Golf Club in second place on countback also with 38 points. And in third place with 37 points was Linda Lakey with her guest Tracey Bishop of Silverstone Golf Club.
You may also want to watch:
Nearest the pin prizes went to the visitors, with Robertson excelling on the 16th and Ann Mitchell on the sixth.
The best front nine prize went to lady captain of the day, Pam Bonnet and her guest Mary Thompson of St Neots Golf Club who scored 19 points. The best back nine prize went to Val Squires and her guest Di Bushey, also of St Neots Golf Club, who scored 21 points.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Hospitality Action Day: Some of your favourite local pubs, restaurants and cafés
Meanwhile, in the Ladies’ Division of the British Legion Charity competition, captain Karen Pearson triumphed with 35 points ahead of Denise Moody who also scored 35 points. In third place was Claire Beaumont on 30 points followed by Gillian Doughton on 29.
The Men’s British Legion Charity competition drew a field of 67 players with James Moore showing a clean pair of heels to his competitors with 44 points – two points ahead of second placed Nicholas Sharp on 42 and George Sames in third on 41, just ahead of Rod Burke on 39 points. All four players had their handicaps reduced.
The Senior August Stableford saw Ken Ayre lead the field with 39 points and a reduction to 13-handicap. Three of his competitors scored 35 points to finish second, third and fourth – Jim Hopkins, Ray Boddy and Stuart Knight respectively.
On Sunday 78 players entered the Men’s Medal and President’s Cup Qualifier. In Division One, for players up to 12-handicap, Greg Fyson finished with a net 65 ahead of Darren Thompson, Darren Dawson and Mark Bohan all on 68 finishing second, third and fourth respectively. Chris Little and Adam Dyer both finished with net 69 in fifth and sixth places.
In Division Two Ian Dell finished with a very respectable net 66 off his 21-handicap (now cut to 20) with Gary Fortune on 71 and Allen Miller on 72.
The qualifiers for next week’s President’s Cup are Greg Fyson, Darren Thompson, Darren Dawson and Mark Bohan, Chris Little, Adam Dyer and Ian Dell.