Buckerfield and Millership win Turkey Trot
JOAN Buckerfield and David Millership were the toast of Royston Golf Club on Saturday when the won the Mixed Turkey Trot event. The foursomes stableford event, which is one of the most popular on the calendar, attracted a large field and was played over
JOAN Buckerfield and David Millership were the toast of Royston Golf Club on Saturday when the won the Mixed Turkey Trot event.
The foursomes' stableford event, which is one of the most popular on the calendar, attracted a large field and was played over the Heath course in dry but chilly conditions.
Buckerfield and Millership scored an impressive 40 points to fend off Jenny Middlemass and David Caunce who finished a point behind.
Tina Collins and David Musgrave were third with 37, whilst current captains Alice Lewis and Sid Seward were fifth.
Karen Pearson and Barry Buckerfield won the front nine and Pam Bonnet and Dave Crossley the back nine prizes.
Nineteen handicapper David Plume won the Saturday Stableford with an impressive 41 points but was chased all the way by Mark Dewhurst who also finished with 41.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 4 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 5 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 6 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 7 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 10 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
However, Plume had the better back nine of 22 points to take the first prize.
Martin Walker finished third with 39 and eight players scored 37 points.
John Fyson recorded a remarkable victory in the Midweek Stableford amassing an enormous 44 points, which has seen his handicap trimmed to 17.
John Weaver and Ray Haw also played well and both scored 41 points.
Current senior captain Stuart Knight was fourth with 39 and new member Mike Harrison also scored 39.
Despite the heavy rain on Sunday, the Men's Medal was played on a full course and Nick Sugden ran out the winner with a terrific nett 65.
The 13-handicapper went out in 37 strokes just one over par to set up his round and maintained his form on the back nine to win by four shots from Keith Pitts.
Nigel Thomas was third with a 71.