Bronze joy for Libby
WYDDIAL youngster Libby Sherriff led England s under-16 hockey side to a bronze medal in the Four Nations Invitational Tournament. The 15-year-old, pictured below, described England s success as a step in the right direction . She added: Last year we
WYDDIAL youngster Libby Sherriff led England's under-16 hockey side to a bronze medal in the Four Nations Invitational Tournament.
The 15-year-old, pictured below, described England's success as "a step in the right direction".
She added: "Last year we finished bottom of the group, so our aim was to improve on that - and we did. At our age it's all about development and I think we have all learned a lot.
"It was a tough competition and after taking a while to settle, we came very close. We drew two matches that we could have won and as a result were unlucky not to get to the final."
Playing in Barcelona over the Easter weekend, England drew 3-3 with Spain and 2-2 with Germany.
They also lost to eventual winners Holland 4-1. However, they did claim third spot with a 2-0 play-off win against Spain on Monday, with Libby scoring the opening goal.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 9 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Libby said: "Beating Spain to win bronze was brilliant, it was a really good game.
"Overall it was a great weekend and being captain made it even more of a fantastic experience.