Bronze joy for Libby
WYDDIAL youngster Libby Sherriff led England s under-16 hockey side to a bronze medal in the Four Nations Invitational Tournament. The 15-year-old, pictured below, described England s success as a step in the right direction . She added: Last year we
WYDDIAL youngster Libby Sherriff led England's under-16 hockey side to a bronze medal in the Four Nations Invitational Tournament.
The 15-year-old, pictured below, described England's success as "a step in the right direction".
She added: "Last year we finished bottom of the group, so our aim was to improve on that - and we did. At our age it's all about development and I think we have all learned a lot.
"It was a tough competition and after taking a while to settle, we came very close. We drew two matches that we could have won and as a result were unlucky not to get to the final."
You may also want to watch:
Playing in Barcelona over the Easter weekend, England drew 3-3 with Spain and 2-2 with Germany.
They also lost to eventual winners Holland 4-1. However, they did claim third spot with a 2-0 play-off win against Spain on Monday, with Libby scoring the opening goal.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 5 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 6 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 7 Safety concerns continue in final days of travel hub consultation
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Exploring the medieval graffiti of North Herts' historic churches
- 10 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
Libby said: "Beating Spain to win bronze was brilliant, it was a really good game.
"Overall it was a great weekend and being captain made it even more of a fantastic experience.