Bronti trio peps Buntingford battlers
Downham Town 3 Buntingford Town 4 BUNTINGFORD Town s Under-18s are through to the semi-final of the Eastern Junior Cup after a pulsating tie. In their first game for six weeks, the Town youngsters were expected to be rusty but started the game in impressi
Downham Town 3
Buntingford Town 4
BUNTINGFORD Town's Under-18s are through to the semi-final of the Eastern Junior Cup after a pulsating tie.
In their first game for six weeks, the Town youngsters were expected to be rusty but started the game in impressive fashion, and took control early on with their attacking football.
You may also want to watch:
And after a couple of near misses, the visitors took the lead in the 12th minute when Jamie Morriss' cross found Ricky Young whose headed pass was smashed home by Josh Bronti.
Two minutes later, Bronti almost made it 2-0 when his dazzling run and shot forced a fine save from the Downham number one.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Margaret House residential home celebrates 50th anniversary milestone
But the hosts hit back with an equaliser 10 minutes later after Buntingford failed to clear a corner.
However, Buntingford were back in front within moments when Young showed his skill in the air once more to head home following Morriss' in-swinging corner.
But the second half saw a re-vamped Downham attack and the hosts laid siege to the Buntingford goal.
The visitors struggled to gain any possession and were at times totally outplayed, with keeper Jordan Gibson having to be in top form.
However, despite a number of brilliant saves, Gibson was beaten twice in quick succession as the home side took the lead.
But just as things looked all but over for Buntingford, the youngsters wrestled the game back in their favour and showed great spirit to equalise in the 75th minute when Bronti volleyed in from close range following another pin-point cross from Morriss.
Both Liam Beaumont and Aaron Welch went close to restoring Buntingford's lead, withWelch hitting the Downham woodwork with one stunning 18-yard effort.
And after piling on the pressure, the visitors grabbed the winner three minutes from time when the hugely impressive Bronti found space in the Downham box and sent a great chip over the keeper and into the back of the net to complete a brilliant hat-trick.