Brilliant Smith caps off fine win
FC Comets 2 Royston Town Youth Colts 3 Under-12s Division Three ROYSTON Town Youth Colts started their 2009/10 campaign with a well deserved win against FC Comets of Hitchin. Having had most of the early exchanges, the Colts went ahead when Jordan Howe fi
FC Comets 2 Royston Town Youth Colts 3
Under-12s Division Three
ROYSTON Town Youth Colts started their 2009/10 campaign with a well deserved win against FC Comets of Hitchin.
Having had most of the early exchanges, the Colts went ahead when Jordan Howe finished off a through ball by Bradley Calvert.
You may also want to watch:
The Colts were still celebrating when man-of-the-match Jack Gwether was unable to stop an FC Comets shot at his goal.
The Colts still enjoyed most of the play and a long clearance from Gwether was controlled by Howe who sent a first time shot from outside the area into the bottom corner past the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 5 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 6 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 9 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
- 10 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
It seemed the Colts had not learnt from their earlier mistake, however, and they conceded another goal more-or-less from the kick-off.
The second half was a much more even affair with good defensive play by the back four of captain Josh Toovey, Sam Chapman, Troy Mayo and Conor Eustace.
FC Comets regularly threatened with some excellent corners but the game was won by a moment of sheer brilliance when Cameron Smith collected the ball on the halfway line before going on a mazy run and sending an unstoppable curling shot into the back of the net.
Colts: Gwether, Chapman, Toovey, Mayo, Eustace, Harris, Smith, Noades, Mansfield, Calvert, Howe, Way, Reader.