Brilliant Smith caps off fine win
FC Comets 2 Royston Town Youth Colts 3 Under-12s Division Three ROYSTON Town Youth Colts started their 2009/10 campaign with a well deserved win against FC Comets of Hitchin. Having had most of the early exchanges, the Colts went ahead when Jordan Howe fi
FC Comets 2 Royston Town Youth Colts 3
Under-12s Division Three
ROYSTON Town Youth Colts started their 2009/10 campaign with a well deserved win against FC Comets of Hitchin.
Having had most of the early exchanges, the Colts went ahead when Jordan Howe finished off a through ball by Bradley Calvert.
The Colts were still celebrating when man-of-the-match Jack Gwether was unable to stop an FC Comets shot at his goal.
The Colts still enjoyed most of the play and a long clearance from Gwether was controlled by Howe who sent a first time shot from outside the area into the bottom corner past the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper.
- 1 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 6 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Council leader pledges 'we'll hold This Land to account'
- 10 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
It seemed the Colts had not learnt from their earlier mistake, however, and they conceded another goal more-or-less from the kick-off.
The second half was a much more even affair with good defensive play by the back four of captain Josh Toovey, Sam Chapman, Troy Mayo and Conor Eustace.
FC Comets regularly threatened with some excellent corners but the game was won by a moment of sheer brilliance when Cameron Smith collected the ball on the halfway line before going on a mazy run and sending an unstoppable curling shot into the back of the net.
Colts: Gwether, Chapman, Toovey, Mayo, Eustace, Harris, Smith, Noades, Mansfield, Calvert, Howe, Way, Reader.