Brave Colts make cup exit

DESPITE crashing out of the County Cup Royston Town Colts under-13s A coach Tim Benstead described his team s efforts as valiant. Colts who play their football in Division 3 came up against last season s Division 1 champions Wymondley Park and lost 8-0.

DESPITE crashing out of the County Cup Royston Town Colts under-13s A coach Tim Benstead described his team's efforts as valiant.

Colts who play their football in Division 3 came up against last season's Division 1 champions Wymondley Park and lost 8-0.

However, a great performance from Mitchell Kilroy, Ashley Chapman, Harry Stafford, and Matthew Cooney kept Royston's first-half hopes alive.

However, Colts keeper Jamie Seabrook was well and truly beaten midway through the second half when Wymondley turned on the style and scored at will.

Colts under-10s were on the right side of an 8-0 score line, as they demolished John Warner Blue. Royston continue to go from strength to strength with a convincing win that maintains their unbeaten record.

Rhys Westbury struck a well deserved hat-trick, while Justin Leavers' grabbed two.

Most Read

Robbie Kane added a well-taken header before George Bailey completed the rout.

Royston Town Colts B Under-13s also went out of the county cup when they lost 5-1 to Hemel Hempstead.

Conner Long kept Royston's hopes alive with a string of fine saves, but in the end Hemel's ­superior teamwork prevailed.

Matt Brennan was Royston's man-of-the-match, and alongside the equally impressive midfielder Adam Sartini, battled right until the end.

At half time Hemel led 1-0, which was largely down to Long, but within minutes of the re-start the visitors had extended their lead.

Ellis King pulled one back when he fired home an excellent shot from the left before a lapse in concentration allowed Hemel in for a third.

As Colts' heads dropped, Hemel snatched another two goals, the last of which was a superb long-range effort.

Melbourn Dynamos Tigers Under-9s were knocked out of the county cup, losing 4-0 against Oxhey United Youth.

It was not the Tigers' best performance, with Oxhey's more determined spirit coming out on top.

Izzy Broadbent impressed throughout for ­Melbourn and her performance deserved more.

Second half substitute Bruce Barnes won the player-of-the-match, with Matt Harris creating a couple of decent goal scoring chances.

Melbourn Dynamo Tigers Under-10s also lost in the county cup, going down to a strong Broxbourne Rangers Youth 9-1.

The visitors came out on top in what was an entertaining and skilful game.

And despite taking an early lead through Jacob Rand's well-taken strike, Melbourn were unable to hold on to the lead, and Broxbourne's strikers took their chances with ease.

Buntingford Cougars Under-14s played Weston Wanderers off the park on Sunday and ran out 12-0 winners. And it was a great start to their belated season as Oliver Lee-Stevens fired home four goals, while Bayo Adeyemi also impressed with three strikes of his own.

There were also goals for James Lovegrove, James Clennell, Joe Pemberton and Jordan Green, and it was total that could have been more if not for some brilliant Weston goalkeeping.

While they impressed at the other end, Buntingford's Ben Nolan and Sam Wallace also did well, while keeper Aron Monk looked controlled throughout.

There was also an impressive win in the county cup, as Buntingford Cougars Under-13s beat Hemel Hempstead 4-3 and earned a place in the third round.

Darren Aldridge score two, while Jonathan Bowell and Scott Caine nabbed the other Cougars goals. Toby Greig also did well in goal with his excellent saves also helping Buntingford through.

Liam Harler's 20 yard free kick completed a fine win for Buntingford Cougars Under-15s, as they saw off Baldock Town 4-1.

Ollie Woodcock opened the scoring for the ­visitors with a cool header before Michael Holland slotted home a second half penalty.

Baldock pulled a goal back when one ­speculative effort cannoned off man-of-the-match Ollie Townsend before Alfie Long restored Cougars' two goal advantage with a well-taken strike.

Harler then completed the proceedings with a free kick that evaded a packed box and settled into the Baldock net.

A defensive mix up allowed Arlesey Town all three points from their game with Buntingford Cougars Whites Under-8, in a match that could have gone either way. The Cougars were unlucky not to have taken a point after a hard working display.

However, Buntingford Cougars Blues Under-8 outplayed their Arlesey Town opponents and ran out comfortable 4-0 winners. Jordan Moore scored Buntingford's first after some intelligent play from Simon Keogh before grabbing two more. Cougars' fourth came courtesy of an Arlesey defender.

BSCFC Under-11 1 Hormead Hares 9

HORMEAD took advantage of their hosts' large pitch and ran riot with Edward Worby and Alex Underwood grabbing hat-tricks.

Using the wide pitch to good affect, the visitors played the ball into spaces and moved it around with ease.

And it was a tactic that led to the first of ­Underwood's three strikes, with player-of-the-match Danny Elford also getting on the scoresheet.

Worby ended a miserable half for the hosts when he completed his deserved hat-trick, and sent Hormead into the break 7-0 up.

Second half strikes from Rhodri Hughes and Bryce Hagger added to Hormead's tally, while Sam Huttlestone had a solid game in defence.

And despite a comfortable game from keeper Robert Brain, the Hares number one was unable to stop a late BSCFC consolation.

Bishop's Stortford Town Under 12s 3 Letchworth Yellows 2

THE hosts' three first-half strikes condemned Letchworth to defeat, despite a spirited comeback.

But it could have been different for the Yellows as early chances were created by Fenton Hancock and captain Adam Morris.

However, Letchworth's play came too little as Bishop's Stortford upped the pressure and caught the visitors napping, and going into the break Letchworth found themselves trailing by three goals.

Then after an inspired team talk by coach Terry Morris, the Yellows came out battling and never gave their opponents time on the ball.

And two stunning Morris free kicks put the visitors within touching distance.

Their first goal came courtesy of an own goal, and their second came thanks to Josh Valpy-Nelson's brave header.

And then with a few minutes on the clock, ­Morris thought he had equalised with another free kick, only for the referee to decide that the ball had not crossed the line.