Bowls: County fours quarter-final success for Royston
Royston Bowlers, S Lee, L Ramsey, M Coppen and Skip S Brown successfully started the week by winning a County fours quarter-final against Garston 26-19.
G Fisk had equal good fortune in the County Unbadged Singles, beating S Coles convincingly, 21-11. M Gisby won her first two wood County Singles match at Welwyn and District but narrowly lost her second game.
In the Men’s Letchworth and District triples, played at Baldock, B Pepper, R Dean, and S Whitehouse gained 19 shots, while R Davies, T Castle, and P Roseblade earned 18 shots. In a game of two halves, Royston were 18 - 0 up after eight ends but a strategic long jack introduced by Baldock changed the game and the teams were level on the penultimate end. Royston managed to hang on to just one shot on the final end to claim the game.
Easier wins were claimed by R Tremlett and G Williams in the Letchworth and District pairs against S Wilson 28-11 and in the L and D Singles by G Williams, 21-8.
In the NHWA Royston Ladies worked hard to overcome a strong Riverain team on their home territory. The journey proved worth-while as J Knights, G Fisk and E Dockree won 19-17 on the last end. M Gisby, S Pawson and L O Flanagan were slightly more comfortably, winning 18-13.
You may also want to watch:
Royston performed well in the MDL League game against Meldreth, Skips H Rijk and K Dockree winning, 16-7, and 18-13 respectively. Skip E Hyde lost by two shots and P Fisk by one shot. Royston won overall 61-50. However, the MDL League game against Sawston saw Royston heavily defeated 81-48.
The annual trophy match between the visiting Golden Horse Team and Royston saw the hosts retain the title, 123-102.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 6 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 7 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange