Bourn under-10s suffer double defeat
Baldock Town Templars 3 Bassingbourn Youth Reds 0 THE Reds came up against a strong Baldock team in this top of the table clash on Sunday and despite the miserable conditions produced a spirited display in a very close match. Playing with the wind in the
Baldock Town Templars 3 Bassingbourn Youth Reds 0
THE Reds came up against a strong Baldock team in this top of the table clash on Sunday and despite the miserable conditions produced a spirited display in a very close match.
Playing with the wind in the first half, Baldock took the game to Bassingbourn and scored an early goal after a nicely worked corner.
Reds reacted well though and soon got into their stride and started to press, but they were unable to break through the resolute Baldock defence despite some good work from Steckly and Burchett on the wings.
You may also want to watch:
Reds pushed more bodies forward but Baldock were breaking well and late in the first half they scored their second goal to take a 2-0 lead at the break.
The second half continued in a similar pattern with both teams playing good attacking football and both defences working really hard.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 10 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
Baldock, however, managed to score a third to take the points.
Baldock Town Crusaders 6 Bassingbourn Youth Whites 2
ANOTHER closely fought match saw the Whites fall to a rare defeat against a strong Baldock team.
Whites started strongly and good work from Sutton led to a fine early goal from Baigent, but Baldock came back well and only some excellent goalkeeping from Catton kept Bassingbourn in the lead.
Chances followed at both ends with Jones and Baigent coming close for Bassingbourn but eventually the Crusaders found a way past the Whites and levelled the game 1-1 just before half time.
Whites struggled against the wind and driving rain in the second half and soon found themselves 5-1 down with only a cracking penalty save from Baigent in goal onto the crossbar prevented a sixth for the hosts.
Bassingbourn kept pressing and scored a second goal from Jones after a nice break.
Just before the end Baldock made it 6-2 to make sure of the win but Whites played some good football and on another day the result would have been much closer.