Bourn just short of late comeback
Bassingbourn Youth 3 FC Comets 4 Under-12s Division Three BASSINGBOURN just missed out on a late comeback against FC Comet in this entertaining encounter. Ben Blower brought bourn level with just moments left but despite a late push they were unable to f
Bassingbourn Youth 3 FC Comets 4
Under-12s Division Three
BASSINGBOURN just missed out on a late comeback against FC Comet in this entertaining encounter.
Ben Blower brought 'bourn level with just moments left but despite a late push they were unable to find that all important fourth goal.
The hosts began brightly with Tom Needham giving the FC Comets defence plenty to do and Nathan Beynon putting in a strong midfield performance but against the run of play the visitors took the lead with an easy tap in.
Becan Davies continued his good form for 'bourn in goal as he tipped a shot over the bar and then pushed another soon after around the post to keep Comet at bay while at the other end only a superb interception from the Comets defender denied Blower after he beat two men and rounded the 'keeper and put his shot goalwards.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 7 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
Bassingbourn raised their game and Blower was again denied by a defender but this time his blocked effort rebounded to Lewis Bonfield who finished for his first of the season.
A crazy five minute spell in the second half effectively put 'bourn out of the game when FC Comets tore their defence to shreds with three goals in quick succession.
Although Davies could do nothing about the goals he again kept it from being five with a close range block.
With the match looking all over with only five minutes left, Jacob Stekly opened his account for the season as he chipped the 'keeper following a clearance and 'bourn increased the pressure when Ben Blower grabbed a third by slotting the ball under the keeper but it wasn't enough.