Bourn beaten despite strong start
Bassingbourn Youth 3 Royston Town Youth Colts 6 Under-12s Division Three BASSINGBOURN gave away a two goal lead as they lost at home against local rivals Royston on Sunday. The home team started well with plenty of possession and took a deserved lead when
Bassingbourn Youth 3 Royston Town Youth Colts 6
Under-12s Division Three
BASSINGBOURN gave away a two goal lead as they lost at home against local rivals Royston on Sunday.
The home team started well with plenty of possession and took a deserved lead when Ned Kelly fired home his first of the season when he met a Tom Needham cross from the right wing.
Bassingbourn continued to have plenty of chances and soon added a second when Ben Blower's shot was parried by the 'keeper only for Jacob Stekly to follow up to tap home.
Then it was the same story for 'bourn as they let Royston back into the game when first they failed to mark a forward from a corner who headed home and then allowed the opposition to bundle the ball over the line for an equaliser.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 5 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 6 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 10 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
In the second half Royston were noticeably boosted by their comeback and started to get the upper hand and eventually took the lead.
Bassingbourn still were creating chances and Ben Blower's scrambled shot just crossed the line to equalise soon afterwards though.
Then came the turning point when Royston scored their fourth goal and the Bassingbourn 'keeper Becan Davies was injured trying to stop the ball crossing the line and had to go off.
Jonny Marriage took over in goal and the home team started to lose their way
From then on Royston took control adding another two goals although Callum Waller and Tom Needham both came close to scoring in the final stages.
Bassingbourn: Davies, Vines, Colling, Goldman, Beynon, Partridge, Kelly, Waller, Stekly, Blower, Needham. Subs: Marriage, Bonfield.