Bourn beat Hitchin with help from the Wright stuff
Hitchin Town 1 Bassingbourn Whites 3 Under-10s THE Whites started the New Year in fine style with a good away win in a tight match at Hitchin Town. Neither side had played since mid-December so both teams looked a little rusty, and it was no surprise that
Hitchin Town 1 Bassingbourn Whites 3
THE Whites started the New Year in fine style with a good away win in a tight match at Hitchin Town.
Neither side had played since mid-December so both teams looked a little rusty, and it was no surprise that both defences and 'keepers were on top and the teams were level 0-0 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeeper Charlie Catton made a number of good saves and defenders Alex Collet-Sinfield and Sam Lay working well to keep Hitchin at bay during the first period, while the second half was a very different story with four goals to entertain the crowd.
Hitchin started the excitement with an excellent goal, but the Whites levelled with a Tom Wright strike and then took the lead with a nice header from Charlie Alsop that looped over the Hitchin 'keeper.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
Whites' confidence was now running high and they extended their lead and made sure of the victory with a goal from winger Arthur Baigent.
The win gives the visitors a great start to the New Year and moves them within striking distance of the league leaders.