Bonnet and Middlemass come out on top
Royston Golf Club round-up
MARK Bonnett and Jenny Middlemass were triumphant in the Johnson Matthey Mixed Draw Cup at Royston Golf Club on Saturday.
Played in swirling winds and with the greens in excellent condition, the pair amassed 37 points in the stableford foursomes to win by a single point.
With more gusting winds on Sunday, the Heath course played extremely difficult for the 81 entrants in the Men’s Medal and Centenary qualifier.
Mick Merry emerged with the best round of the day, with a nett 67 off his 10 handicap, to win Division One. Jason Nolan was second with a nett 68 (74-6=68), while Paul Thomson was third (75-4=71).
Barrie Parsons was the only player to beat his handicap in Division Two with a fine nett 69. He was pushed all the way by Eric Baker (84-14=70) and Nick Sugden (83-13=70). In fact Sugden could have easily won before hitting a quadruple bogey nine at the penultimate hole.
The ladies had a busy week with two trophies played. Firstly, Mary Wilson won the Phillips Cup with a nett 72, to edge out Emma Logan and Sandra Williams, who both finished two shots behind.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 3 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
- 4 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 5 'Simply amazing' - dad's life saved by air ambulance after mystery seizure
- 6 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 7 Two North Herts councillors sent council tax summons
- 8 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Fire crews tackle M11 car blaze
Then on Thursday, Sheila Wood took the Grannies rosebowl with an impressive 35 points. Libby Toby took second on countback from Jenny Jarvis.
In other results, Paul Davey won the Midweek Golfers’ Stableford with 37 points ahead of Alan Evans (35) and Eddie Collins (34).
In the Junior Stableford, Ollie Pemberton finished first with 37 points ahead of Luke Bailey (35) and Alex Brain (33).
Terry Allison (40) won the Saturday Stableford ahead of Pete Rutter (39) and Charlie Fidler (38).