Bonnet and Middlemass come out on top
Royston Golf Club round-up
MARK Bonnett and Jenny Middlemass were triumphant in the Johnson Matthey Mixed Draw Cup at Royston Golf Club on Saturday.
Played in swirling winds and with the greens in excellent condition, the pair amassed 37 points in the stableford foursomes to win by a single point.
With more gusting winds on Sunday, the Heath course played extremely difficult for the 81 entrants in the Men’s Medal and Centenary qualifier.
Mick Merry emerged with the best round of the day, with a nett 67 off his 10 handicap, to win Division One. Jason Nolan was second with a nett 68 (74-6=68), while Paul Thomson was third (75-4=71).
You may also want to watch:
Barrie Parsons was the only player to beat his handicap in Division Two with a fine nett 69. He was pushed all the way by Eric Baker (84-14=70) and Nick Sugden (83-13=70). In fact Sugden could have easily won before hitting a quadruple bogey nine at the penultimate hole.
The ladies had a busy week with two trophies played. Firstly, Mary Wilson won the Phillips Cup with a nett 72, to edge out Emma Logan and Sandra Williams, who both finished two shots behind.
- 1 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 2 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 3 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 4 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 5 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 6 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 7 Cooling caps appeal to reduce chemo patients' hair loss
- 8 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 9 Hallmark Trophy decided in close-run contest at Heydon Grange Golf Club
- 10 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
Then on Thursday, Sheila Wood took the Grannies rosebowl with an impressive 35 points. Libby Toby took second on countback from Jenny Jarvis.
In other results, Paul Davey won the Midweek Golfers’ Stableford with 37 points ahead of Alan Evans (35) and Eddie Collins (34).
In the Junior Stableford, Ollie Pemberton finished first with 37 points ahead of Luke Bailey (35) and Alex Brain (33).
Terry Allison (40) won the Saturday Stableford ahead of Pete Rutter (39) and Charlie Fidler (38).