BMX - Rockets battle hard in Winter Series bid
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club members travelled up the A1 to compete in the third round of the East Anglian Winter Series, held at Peterborough on Sunday. The cold and windy weather, with a constant threat of rain kept the number of riders from around t
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club members travelled up the A1 to compete in the third round of the East Anglian Winter Series, held at Peterborough on Sunday.
The cold and windy weather, with a constant threat of rain kept the number of riders from around the region taking part down to just under 70.
But in the end the rain held off until just after the racing was finished.
The youngest class are nominally seven years and under and are known as Formula 5.
You may also want to watch:
And two of Royston's four riders in the class made the main final, won by Daniel Blanche, his first at Regional level, and with Oliver Snelling finishing eighth.
In the B final Ted Dalleywater took the win, and in his first regional event, Archie York was third.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Raise the roof! Church lead replaced two years on from theft
- 6 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 10 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
In Formula 4 for eight-10 year-olds, the Rockets riders had more A final success, with Aaron Dalleywater fourth, just ahead of teammate Ethan Vernon, who was riding up a class.
Zak Foreman took the win in the B Final.
The Rockets' two representatives in Formula 3 (11-13 years) were Ben Gutteridge who took the win to qualify for the next class up in the next round of the series, and Louis Burton who finished fifth.
The solo Royston rider, James Handleigh, in the Formula 2 class which was the largest class of the day battled hard in the A final, with a hard fought seventh place.
The last class on the track was Formula 1, which had four Rockets riders taking part, with eighth in Dalleywater.
In the B final Darren Foreman finished runner-up, and Danny Bateman took seventh, after a race- long battle with Wayne Gutteridge, who finished in eighth.
The next round in the series is at Royston on January 21, when the Rockets will again be out in force.
Full details of forthcoming club and regional events are published on the club web site at: www.roystontockets.co.uk. or ring 01763 260959 for more information on BMX racing.