BMX - Rockets battle hard in Winter Series bid
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club members travelled up the A1 to compete in the third round of the East Anglian Winter Series, held at Peterborough on Sunday. The cold and windy weather, with a constant threat of rain kept the number of riders from around t
Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club members travelled up the A1 to compete in the third round of the East Anglian Winter Series, held at Peterborough on Sunday.
The cold and windy weather, with a constant threat of rain kept the number of riders from around the region taking part down to just under 70.
But in the end the rain held off until just after the racing was finished.
The youngest class are nominally seven years and under and are known as Formula 5.
And two of Royston's four riders in the class made the main final, won by Daniel Blanche, his first at Regional level, and with Oliver Snelling finishing eighth.
In the B final Ted Dalleywater took the win, and in his first regional event, Archie York was third.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 4 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 7 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 8 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 9 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
- 10 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
In Formula 4 for eight-10 year-olds, the Rockets riders had more A final success, with Aaron Dalleywater fourth, just ahead of teammate Ethan Vernon, who was riding up a class.
Zak Foreman took the win in the B Final.
The Rockets' two representatives in Formula 3 (11-13 years) were Ben Gutteridge who took the win to qualify for the next class up in the next round of the series, and Louis Burton who finished fifth.
The solo Royston rider, James Handleigh, in the Formula 2 class which was the largest class of the day battled hard in the A final, with a hard fought seventh place.
The last class on the track was Formula 1, which had four Rockets riders taking part, with eighth in Dalleywater.
In the B final Darren Foreman finished runner-up, and Danny Bateman took seventh, after a race- long battle with Wayne Gutteridge, who finished in eighth.
The next round in the series is at Royston on January 21, when the Rockets will again be out in force.
Full details of forthcoming club and regional events are published on the club web site at: www.roystontockets.co.uk. or ring 01763 260959 for more information on BMX racing.