Blues run out comfortable winners

RCYFL Under-14 Cup Round TwoBSCFC Blues 4 Wymondley Park Jets 0 THE Blues got back to winning ways after their last two weeks on the road left them fruitless and pointless. Today was the Cup and a healthy crowd was there to see the Blues progress into t

RCYFL Under-14 Cup Round Two

BSCFC Blues 4 Wymondley Park Jets 0

THE Blues got back to winning ways after their last two weeks on the road left them fruitless and pointless. Today was the Cup and a healthy crowd was there to see the Blues progress into the next round of the Cup.

Wymondley have always presented a stern challenge for Blues in the past and the match started quite evenly, with both sides struggling to get used to the conditions, the pitch being slightly heavy after the previous games' exertions.

However, Blues were the first to get attuned to the pitch and it was Jordan Sanderson who skilfully ran through from the left of the area after five minutes, outmuscling and outpacing the defender and slotting coolly past the goalkeeper.

A good free kick from Harry Synowski then led to a very good save from the Jets 'keeper.

Most Read

Synowski's subsequent corner found the excellent Mark Redcliffe, who hit home first time on the volley from the edge of the six-yard box to double the Blues' lead.

During this period Blues cemented their lead by hassling and harrying in midfield, but there was an occasional tendency from their own goal kicks to leave space at the back. From one such slip, the Wymondley number ten was unlucky to slide the ball just wide, and shortly after Tommy Baiss made a good save from the same player.

Scott Almond made a couple of telling interventions coming across from left back to avert any danger on several occasions, and Billy Cox slotted in very well at right-back after missing last week's game.

Despite these scares the Blues entered the interval with their 2-0 lead in tact.

The second half began with the Blues determined not to let their lead slip, and this extra concentration and effort made sure that Wymondley's chances at this stage of the game were few and far between.

Baiss made a good save from to deny the Jets' number eight but in the main the strong defensive unit of Cox, Ben Gannon, Albie McCabe and Almond were holding firm. Greg Harrison, making his entrance at the start of the second half was back to his buzzing best and ran on strongly to a great through ball from Clarry Williams, who was working effectively in central midfield. Harrison totally outpaced the big Jets centre half and shot strongly only for the goalkeeper to make a wonderful save. However, Harrison was not to be denied and shortly afterwards, when he ran on to another great through ball from Williams he calmly hit it wide of the 'keeper and into the net.

Blues now started to string some really good passes together, with Sam Gale, Connor Gypps and Williams working some great moves on the right and Matt Wheeler and Jordan Powles making headway on the left. The unfortunate Wheeler injured himself and was forced to come off, but this only spurred Blues on further. A good effort from the Wymondley number 10 was well saved at the foot of his post by Baiss, but then a quite magnificent goal involving a magical cross field pass from Cox to play in Powles was wrongly chalked off by the over-enthusiastic linesman. This would have been the goal of our season so far but alas the linesman wrongly flagged for offside, in spite of Powles running from a good five yards behind the Jets last defender when the ball was played in.

Justice was served five minutes later when another intricate diagonal pass was threaded through behind the Jets back line by Williams for Jordan Powles to run on to, skilfully round the Jets 'keeper and tuck into the invitingly open net.

The next ten minutes or so saw both sides struggling to create openings, with a couple of efforts hit wide by Jets, and the most notable Blues chance coming from a great cross by Harrison. Unfortunately Powles couldn't quite get over the ball and he headed over the bar, but once again he was in the right place at the right time.

Shortly after, the game drew to a close with Blues running out deserved 4-0 winners.

The game was played out in front of a healthy crowd of parents and the team would like to thank Paul Staines for helping to referee the second half of the game.

Next week the boys take on Hormead Hares at home.