Blower hat trick completes turnaround
Royston Crow Youth Football League U12s Division Three Bassingbourn Youth U12 4 Symonds Green U12 2 A DOMINANT performance by Bassingbourn was not reflected in the score as they put Symonds Green under pressure for nearly the whole match, having over twe
Royston Crow Youth Football League U12s Division Three
Bassingbourn Youth U12 4 Symonds Green U12 2
A DOMINANT performance by Bassingbourn was not reflected in the score as they put Symonds Green under pressure for nearly the whole match, having over twenty shots on target but only scoring with four.
From the kick off Bourn out-passed the visitors and within minutes Ben Blower's chip over nearly gave them the perfect start. This was the beginning of a spell of attacks from the home team with shots coming in at the Green's 'keeper from all angles and from all people.
Jacob Stekly, Callum Waller and Luke Barrett all had decent shots saved by the keeper but Bourn were caught with a sucker punch as Symonds Green's first venture into the Bourn half resulted in a corner from which they took the lead when a player was left unmarked in the box .
This goal against the run of play didn't distract Bassingbourn who continued to pepper their opponent's goal.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Tom Needham, playing on the right, was unlucky with a strike from the corner of the box which just went over and Nathan Beynon got even closer when his shot rattled the crossbar.
However Bassingbourn were caught again with most of the team up field looking for a goal. This allowed the Symonds Green forward to break free and finish well past Becan Davies.
There was still time before the break for the Green's 'keeper to block Blower's shot and push the rebound shot from Jacob Stekly onto the post.
Within six minute of the restart Bassingbourn had turned the game around.
First Stekly got onto the end of a cross from the right with a superb glancing header inside the far post, and then Blower got the goal he deserved when he tapped in from close range to equalise. The comeback was completed when Stekly beat five defenders to lay the ball back for Blower to fire home.
From then onwards it was all Bassingbourn as they lay siege to the Symonds Green goal with Callum Waller firing just over and Edward Kelly's shot just missing the post.
Another goal was on the cards and it came when Blower raced onto a through ball to score and complete his hat-trick.
The Symonds Green goalkeeper should take credit from his team for keeping the score down and ensuring the match finished with only two goals between the sides.