Blow for skipper Letch as Vets suffer setback
Shelford Vets 26 Royston Vets 15 COLIN Letch suffered a defeat in his first game as Royston captain, with a powerful Shelford side scoring two late tries. The home side started the stronger, with their big centres and wingers taking advantage of the wide
Shelford Vets 26 Royston Vets 15
COLIN Letch suffered a defeat in his first game as Royston captain, with a powerful Shelford side scoring two late tries.
The home side started the stronger, with their big centres and wingers taking advantage of the wide pitch.
Royston had to be on their guard and the back row of Tony Richardson, Kirk Woodford, and Letch were quick in the tackle.
And against the run of play, it was the visitors who took the lead, with Paul Dacey slicing through the Shelford line, and freeing Neil Smith to score in the corner.
Shelford soon responded, and used the power in their backs to bundle over for a try of their own - a tactic that would pave the way for three more.
- 1 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 2 Vehicles, greenhouse and fence 'smashed' in Royston
- 3 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 4 Royston Bloomsday marks 100th anniversary of James Joyce's novel
- 5 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 6 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 7 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 8 Royston Town happy to be a breeding ground if it helps their own progression
- 9 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 10 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge view portrait of themselves at Fitzwilliam Museum
Despite Shelford's powerful play, Royston's Kevin Green, Dave Howell, Tim Boyce and Roy Phillips did their best to put the hosts on the back foot.
And as a result Woodford grabbed another try for Royston, with their pack surging towards the shelford corner.
Dacey and Smith combined again for Royston's third try, with Dacey's deft chip finding Smith to dive home.