Blow for skipper Letch as Vets suffer setback
Shelford Vets 26 Royston Vets 15 COLIN Letch suffered a defeat in his first game as Royston captain, with a powerful Shelford side scoring two late tries. The home side started the stronger, with their big centres and wingers taking advantage of the wide
Shelford Vets 26 Royston Vets 15
COLIN Letch suffered a defeat in his first game as Royston captain, with a powerful Shelford side scoring two late tries.
The home side started the stronger, with their big centres and wingers taking advantage of the wide pitch.
Royston had to be on their guard and the back row of Tony Richardson, Kirk Woodford, and Letch were quick in the tackle.
And against the run of play, it was the visitors who took the lead, with Paul Dacey slicing through the Shelford line, and freeing Neil Smith to score in the corner.
Shelford soon responded, and used the power in their backs to bundle over for a try of their own - a tactic that would pave the way for three more.
- 1 Trial begins for killer accused of murdering wife
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 3 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 4 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 5 Women trapped in vehicle after A10 crash
- 6 Downing Street and its South Cambs connections
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 9 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 10 8,000 homes plan criticised over ‘hidden green belt destruction’
Despite Shelford's powerful play, Royston's Kevin Green, Dave Howell, Tim Boyce and Roy Phillips did their best to put the hosts on the back foot.
And as a result Woodford grabbed another try for Royston, with their pack surging towards the shelford corner.
Dacey and Smith combined again for Royston's third try, with Dacey's deft chip finding Smith to dive home.