Biggleswade win against battling Stotfold
Biggleswade United 3 Stotfold Juniors 1 Under-16s County Cup Round One BIGGLESWADE United won through to the second round of the County Cup with a good win against a battling and determined Stotfold side. In the first half Biggleswade put Stotfold under c
Biggleswade United 3 Stotfold Juniors 1
Under-16s County Cup Round One
BIGGLESWADE United won through to the second round of the County Cup with a good win against a battling and determined Stotfold side.
In the first half Biggleswade put Stotfold under continual pressure and for the first 30 minutes the visitors found it difficult to get into their opponents' half, though their defenders and goalkeeper were always in position to halt their hosts' attacks.
Gradually Stotfold settled and against the run of play and scored from a free kick which was headed home after it had found its way through the Biggleswade defence.
It might have been Biggleswade's half on the play but it was the visitors who were in front on the half time scoreboard.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 3 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 7 Tiffinity and Beyond: Boost for Melbourn business thanks to former BBC Dragon
- 8 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
- 9 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
Five minutes into the second half a well taken free kick from Jake Wallace saw Michael Welsh run in and head home for the equaliser.
A great save from another Wallace free kick gave the home side a corner which was converted into the goal by Carl Heath.
The game was far from over as Stotfold hit back and only some quick thinking and a clearance from Connor Clark prevented them getting back on terms.
The clearance would prove to be vital as with 10 minutes to go Wallace made space with a nifty turn and fired home a powerful angled shot to make it 3-1.
This was an improved team performance from Biggleswade but there is still some way to go to regain the stylish football of last season.
Biggleswade squad: Mason, Nergaard, Palmer-Fletcher, Clark, Larter, Adams, Brown, Stagg, Jake Wallace ( C ), Welsh, Kersey, Heath, Humphrey, Stevens, Pilling.