Benefit match at Garden Walk
A BENEFIT football match has been organised between Royston Town and The Jolly Boys. Mark Newman, who has been manager of the Guilden Morden-based Jolly Boys for a number of years, has been diagnosed with leukaemia and has spent the past three weeks in ho
A BENEFIT football match has been organised between Royston Town and The Jolly Boys.
Mark Newman, who has been manager of the Guilden Morden-based Jolly Boys for a number of years, has been diagnosed with leukaemia and has spent the past three weeks in hospital.
Match organiser and Royston Town striker Craig Hammond said: "I've known Mark for a while and he loves his football.
"He comes down to Garden Walk to watch Royston on a Saturday and manages the Jolly Boys on a Sunday - so he will love this.
You may also want to watch:
"He's had a difficult time lately and he won't be working for a while, so hopefully the game will help him out a bit.
"I'm sure it will cheer him up and it promises to be a good day."
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 8 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 9 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
The match will take place on Saturday, May 10, at Garden Walk, kick-off 3pm.
There will be a £2 entrance fee for adults and a £1 fee for children, with a barbecue and disco running throughout the evening, as well as a bouncy castle.