Ben Ritsema runs riot against Hillingdon
Royston RFC 62
Hillingdon Abbots 3
A FLAWLESS performance from Royston saw them completely overwhelm Hillingdon on the Heath on Saturday.
The opening try came from a brilliant piece of individual skill from Ben Ritsema as he danced through the opposing back-line before Schurch added the second shortly afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
Forward Lee Gilbert, who was the Man of the Match, grabbed the third as took the ball from the back of the scrum and was unchallenged as he ran under the posts. Schurch then latched on to a kick from Rob Turner to score the fourth.
The game was looking over as Hillingdon’s heads began to drop, but Royston did not let up and despite having many chances, they were only able to add another two by Dan Ritsema and Sam Morris before the end of the first half.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 7 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 8 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 9 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 10 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
After the break Hillingdon kicked over an early penalty, but Royston were in no mood to be messed with. Matthew Muirhead broke the line before off-loading to Ben Ritsema to score his second. He then completed his hat-trick moments later with a mazy run from his own in goal area.
Jonathan Whittingham ran in the next try with a strong hand-off putting him clear of the full back. With the game all but over, there was just enough time for Ben Ritsema to score his fourth of the game and complete a comprehensive victory.