Battling Panthers seize the initiative
Melbourn Dynamos Panthers U-11 3 Broadhall Youth 0 A very evenly-matched game produced some tough tackling, mixed with some good football by both teams. It was the home side who dominated the early stages. Alex Martin missed from six yards after only tw
Melbourn Dynamos Panthers U-11 3
Broadhall Youth 0
A very evenly-matched game produced some tough tackling, mixed with some good football by both teams.
It was the home side who dominated the early stages. Alex Martin missed from six yards after only two minutes, and it was looking as though Dynamos were going to rue their missed chances, after having so much of the early possession and unable to hit the target.
However Patrick Hopper broke the deadlock after 20 minutes when put in by Byron Lawrence with just the keeper to beat.
This seemed to inspire the visitors who were starting to put in some good challenges, and beginning to test home keeper Nick Thompson.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 9 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
The second half began with Broadhall having the better of the exchanges, but man-of-the-match Joe Carrington, and Billy Halliwell were holding firm in the centre of defence.
Then Melbourn broke free and Toby Jackson crossed to Hopper inside the box, and he was brought down from behind for a penalty.
Nathan Henry slotted home into the bottom left hand corner.
With the game now apparently in the bag, it became stretched with more chances at both ends.
But Panthers made sure with the best goal of the game from Sam Webb, who fired into the bottom left hand corner from outside the box.