Battling Banyers give leaders a tough test
Banyers 0 Gamlingay 2 THIRD-from-bottom Banyers met Division 3B leaders Gamlingay on Sunday and despite their best efforts slipped to defeat. Banyers recent home form sent them into the game in optimistic mood. However, after their last encounter with
Banyers 0 Gamlingay 2
THIRD-from-bottom Banyers met Division 3B leaders Gamlingay on Sunday and despite their best efforts slipped to defeat.
Banyers' recent home form sent them into the game in optimistic mood.
However, after their last encounter with the runaway leaders resulted in a 7-0 hammering, their prospects looked grim.
You may also want to watch:
However, it was Banyers who started the brightest, with some solid defending and some fine goalkeeping by Adrian Pigg.
New signing Dave Osborne worked tirelessly in midfield, and his intelligent play and hard work kept Banyers' midfield tight, and holding Gamlingay at half time.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
In the second half both Asher Wilson and Sipho Tibe went close for the home side with two well-worked efforts, as Banyers threatened to cause an upset.
However, their great defensive work was all undone as the visitors grabbed a goal at the near post with 15 minutes left.
A fierce drive moments later made it 2-0, as Gamlingay turned on an impressive display of attacking football.
Banyers: Pigg; Lewis, Halfacre, Caldwell, Grace; Glennon, Osborne, Morgan, Crucifix; Wilson, Tibe. (Subs): Waldock, Huggins, Oddy.