Battle all the way for shot-shy Chishill

Great Chishill 1 Camden Utd Res 2 A LACK of confidence in front of goal was Chishill's downfall on Saturday, despite managing to score their first goal in three weeks. Camden, flying high in the league, started well and had several good opportunities in

Great Chishill 1 Camden Utd Res 2 A LACK of confidence in front of goal was Chishill's downfall on Saturday, despite managing to score their first goal in three weeks. Camden, flying high in the league, started well and had several good opportunities in the first 15 minutes. Their first goal was a fortunate one as a left-wing cross deflected into the net off defender Nick Bramwell. The hosts reorganised well and hit back, equalising with Bramwell's driven cross rebounding in off a defender for a copy of Camden's opener. Chishill were beginning to get on top and Gary Radford forced the keeper into a good save low to his right. Then just before half-time a defensive mix-up allowed Camden's striker to tap into an open goal. The home side had to survive early second-half pressure, but Ian Gallagher was rarely tested in Chishill's goal, and Gareth Edey and Luke Tyler began to dominate in midfield. But for all Chishill's second-half pressure, Camden's goalkeeper was not called into action enough, as Steve McGee, Jonathan Hodge and Tom Hodge all failed to hit the target in good shooting positions. Once again, it went down as a good performance against strong opposition, but with no points to show for it. Chishill: Gallagher, R Drury, Gardiner, E Drury, Bramwell, J Hodge, Tyler, Edey, Radford, McGee, J Drury. Subs: T Hodge, C Wilson, S Wilson. Saffron Crocus 3 Melbourn 0 IT WAS backs-to-the-wall defending from Melbourn for 90 minutes and their performance merited at least a point. However, individual errors allowed Crocus to capitalise and score three second-half goals. On an awful playing surface, the home side dominated proceedings, with the visitors defending extremely well, throwing in last-ditch tackles and blocks, and goalkeeper Chris Paxton putting in one of his best performances of the season. Early on, Paxton pulled off an outstanding save, scrambling across his goal to claw away an effort down low to his right. Throughout the first period, Crocus had numerous attempts on goal but found Paxton and his defenders in fine form and the half ended goalless. Around the hour mark, Crocus made their dominance pay. Melbourn failed to deal with a long clearance and the ball bounced through to James Heslam who unfortunately sliced toward his own goal. Paxton could not gather and the ball was squared and smashed into the empty net. At the other end, Melbourn's strike pairing of Stephen Edwards and Russell Cooper battled to fashion an opening but had little or no service. Late on, the hosts effectively sealed the match, Greg Moule finishing well after marker Andy Edwards lost his footing, which allowed space for the shot. Moule added a third with minutes to go with shot from the edge of the box that Paxton will feel he should have dealt with better. Melbourn: C Paxton, T Walker, G Pearse, J Heslam, A Edwards, F Lury, S Carse (K Watters), S Marriott, M Wagstaff, R Cooper, S Edwards - Melbourn face an even tougher test when they travel to league leaders, Whittlesford, on Saturday. Royston Town Vets 2 Sandy Vets 4 THREE goals down after half an hour, with just 10 men, Town refused to give in. They fought back with a strong performance that very nearly saw them snatch an unlikely win against a strong Sandy squad. With Merv Chaffey and Martin Pope away, Colin McArthur took over in goal, Ian King and Brian Cannon returned to strengthen the back four, although this left Town with just the 10 starters because striker Simon Lewis was forced to take charge as referee. The visitors, who were unable to share the refereeing duties, lined up with a formidable squad. The first 20 minutes saw Town run ragged, quickly finding themselves two down as Sandy tore the home defence apart. With five strung across midfield, the visitors ran the show, leaving the Vets chasing shadows, and it was amazing that they were only three ahead after 30 minutes. Darryl Quinn rallied to the call for help to enable Royston to play with the full 11 and within minutes Lewis somehow got round the back of the Sandy defence to nonchalantly lob over the keeper to pull one back for Town. Royston came back into the game and Nick Humphries fired over when a second looked on the cards. Simon Lewis changed into Royston kit for the second half, with Mike Jackson talking the whistle and Town started to get a hold on the game. A disputed free-kick on the edge of the Sandy penalty area saw Nick Humphries drive directly home to make it 3-2. Against the run of play, Sandy managed a fourth with 10 minutes to go, yet Royston can be proud of the way they battled and so nearly pulled it back against probably the strongest side they face during the season. Royston Town Vets: C McArthur, I King, I Allen, M Jackson, K Flack, B Cannon, D. Quinn, R Harris, P Lewis, I Stubbs, N Humphries, S Lewis.