Bates double keeps up pressure
Royston Town Res 3 Cockfosters Res1 WITH the previous week s poor performance and defeat still fresh in their minds putting on a good show in this top-of-the-table clash was a must for Royston. Town, produced a gutsy, determined display, and victory ke
Royston Town Res 3
WITH the previous week's poor performance and defeat still fresh in their minds putting on a good show in this top-of-the-table clash was a must for Royston.
Town, produced a gutsy, determined display, and victory keeps their promotion ambitions intact.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors showed first, and Royston had keeper Sam Booth to thank to keep them level.
Then Royston were awarded a free-kick that found its way into the Cockfosters net via a visiting defender, moments before half-time.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 5 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 6 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 7 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 8 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 9 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 10 Flying day at IWM Duxford commemorates 77th anniversary of D-Day
In the second half, the opening exchanges were again fairly even, although Lee Bates' robust forward running started causing the visitors some problems.
But Cockfosters levelled when a fine shot hit the bar and fell kindly for an approaching forward.
Royston continued to take the game to the second placed side, and following another good move were awarded a penalty, that was converted by Bates.
Having taken the lead for the second time Royston seemed to find another gear and raised their game, and Bates completed an impressive performance with his second as Royston leapfrogged Cockfosters in the table.