Bates double keeps up pressure
Royston Town Res 3 Cockfosters Res1 WITH the previous week s poor performance and defeat still fresh in their minds putting on a good show in this top-of-the-table clash was a must for Royston. Town, produced a gutsy, determined display, and victory ke
Royston Town Res 3
WITH the previous week's poor performance and defeat still fresh in their minds putting on a good show in this top-of-the-table clash was a must for Royston.
Town, produced a gutsy, determined display, and victory keeps their promotion ambitions intact.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors showed first, and Royston had keeper Sam Booth to thank to keep them level.
Then Royston were awarded a free-kick that found its way into the Cockfosters net via a visiting defender, moments before half-time.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
In the second half, the opening exchanges were again fairly even, although Lee Bates' robust forward running started causing the visitors some problems.
But Cockfosters levelled when a fine shot hit the bar and fell kindly for an approaching forward.
Royston continued to take the game to the second placed side, and following another good move were awarded a penalty, that was converted by Bates.
Having taken the lead for the second time Royston seemed to find another gear and raised their game, and Bates completed an impressive performance with his second as Royston leapfrogged Cockfosters in the table.